Sluggish Turn Signal

Top Down

Wonder what needs to be replaced as the driver's side turn signal flashes at 1/2 the rate of the passenger side which is normal.   All exterior bulbs illuminate as well as the internal turn signal indicators.

There are two flasher "cans located up high behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel. To do a simple test turn on your emergency flashers to se if both turn signals flash the same. If they do then it is likely the directional flasher can. 

Going from memory the cans are in a bracket high up and can be reached from the bottom of instrument panel. Turn on the directional and reach up to "feel" for the can. having the directional on you will feel the click and know that is the one to remove. best advice is the leads to the can are long, so when you remove the bad can bring the cans down lower for the next time should you need to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/20/2023 at 9:09 PM, Top Down said:

Wonder what needs to be replaced as the driver's side turn signal flashes at 1/2 the rate of the passenger side which is normal.   All exterior bulbs illuminate as well as the internal turn signal indicators.

Mine have always done the same.  All exterior bulbs are ok.  I will look into what Daves89 suggests.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help.  I have tried to reach the flasher and have been unsuccessful.   Crawled under the dash and saw nothing except a black plastic cover.   Tried to see how the cover was attached and could find only 1 wingnut so I decided to checkout the '90 manual.   Found a diagram and it showed 2 wingnuts and 4 screws.   Went under the dash again and didn't see any screws.   Decided that the GM engineer who placed the flashers in this obscure location needs to do some penance.  The question is.............how to remove the black plastic cover?

They are there. The two wing nuts are on the fire wall. the 4 screws are located in the little groove right at the leading edge of the black plastic trim piece. they are torx screws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The struggle continues.   Under the dash for a 3rd time only to find something different.   Instead of 4 torx screws, there are 2 clips as seen in the picture.   These clips are wedged between the black cover and a cross member which has provisions for the 4 torx screws.   Could not remove these clips as they are tightly mounted over slots in the cross member and compress against the black cover.  Any ideas as to removing these clips as prying with a screw driver doesn't work...........?

IMG_20231106_143253_5.thumb.jpg.c31a8e00ecbabbbfae46b409c7188036.jpg

22 hours ago, Top Down said:

The struggle continues.   Under the dash for a 3rd time only to find something different.   Instead of 4 torx screws, there are 2 clips as seen in the picture.   These clips are wedged between the black cover and a cross member which has provisions for the 4 torx screws.   Could not remove these clips as they are tightly mounted over slots in the cross member and compress against the black cover.  Any ideas as to removing these clips as prying with a screw driver doesn't work...........?

IMG_20231106_143253_5.thumb.jpg.c31a8e00ecbabbbfae46b409c7188036.jpg

I did this repair on mine. It was a while ago but I do not recall having to take those clips off.  

There is not much disassembly needed to get to them but they are hard to reach. They reside in some metal clips, I'd like to say I used a long screwdriver to pop them out and something like a bent coathanger to pull them down. Getting them back in the clips was not easy, though I did eventually get it. 

Let me look back at my pictures and see if I can find any from when I did it.

I unfortunately cannot find those photos. I think I took them with my camera instead of my phone and I cannot find that memory card.

However I did find these.  These were the only two pieces of trim I had to remove to get to them.  Then you have to lie awkwardly on your back and look up to the passenger side of the steering column. Any long screwdriver or extra long nose pliers etc. that you can employ to help you is good.  If I recall I could squeeze my hand up and touch them. I will also say, the seats are really easy to remove and re-install if you wanted to do that to give yourself more room to lie down to work. 
image.thumb.png.d11aeb700f2fb0d22cf36ffe45947882.png

image.thumb.png.bebeeef06f47916613da36c9fdf4791b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1