1988 transmission leak

Gregoryb

So my 88 with 57,000 miles transmission started to leak I thought ok I’ll just have my small mechanic down the road put a new filter and pan gasket in well got it home still leaking so I brought it back to him he said it’s the side pan leaking and it’s a major job that he don’t want to take on can this car drain my anymore 😡

advice anyone?

1 hour ago, Gregoryb said:

can this car drain my anymore 😡

Oh Yeah. You would be surprised what a Reatta can do. 🙂 

I recommend you find a good mechanic familiar with GM products of that vintage with a lift to make the job easier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I got my ‘88 three years ago with 57,000 miles on it and have been chasing leaks and ignition issues ever since. We replaced the valve cover gaskets which stopped the oil leaking for awhile. Then the oil pan  gasket started leaking, replaced that which revealed the filter adapter gasket was leaking. Replaced that and had no leaks for awhile. When the crank sensor failed and I was under the car troubleshooting , I discovered transmission fluid leaking. Re torquing the pan bolts solved that, but now the oil pan or filter adapter is leaking again. I’m on my second or third ICM and the second coil pack. This is the reality of Reatta ownership… 

• Like 2

I just spent close to a grand at my local GM dealership to repair a hard to reach brake line rupture that "the small mechanic down the road" decided the repair was beyond his capabilities. Sad thing was that he had my car parked outside for 2weeks with rain and tree leaves making a mess on the paint before he finally came to that realization. 

I had my car hauled to the dealership and and the repairs were completed promptly. Unfortunately, the labor rate at $125 per hour adds up pretty quick. Brake line and new caliper was about $90 bucks and balance was for labor.

Bottom line is that with over 25 years of ownership, I have as much, or more, in repairs as I paid for the car. But, it's  over 25 years of enjoyment of owning such a unique vehicle.

• Like 2