89 reatta misfire

89reattaWI

Here are the main symptoms relating to misfires. 

At idle the engine fluctuates rpms. i can’t see the tachometer but you can hear it. when i started the car i had to lightly press on the gas in order for it to not die. i haven’t had to recently but it doesn’t start that smooth. acceleration is very sluggish at any speed. 

I was thinking i should clean the IAC valve, and the injectors because of the slow acceleration. i’m thinking it’s the ICM but i’m not sure. that’s already getting replaced with a series 2 ICM so i just need more ideas of things that i can do to make my engine run smoother, and last as long as possible.

Until you get your CRT issue fixed so you can read ECM codes about all we can do is guess what your problem might be. Your guess is as good as mine.

• Agree 1

alright that’s unfortunate. the line in the crt comes and goes. only isn’t a line when the crt isn’t even getting power or just isn’t on. do you know of a shop i take my reatta to that knows a bit about them?

Many possibilities, but cleaning the IAC is a good place to start for an unstable idle. Be sure to put a rag or something below that area when removing the screws which are non magnetic stainless steel.

From the way it is worded, it sounds like the ICM and associated hardware is going to be changed, but it has not been done yet? If that is the case, doing so may fix multiple issues, especially if the original ICM shows signs of overheating.

• Like 1