harmonic balancer removal help

89reattaWI

hey i’m rebuilding a series 2 3800 and it’s on an engine stand so the pulley just spins of course. i just need some help on how i can stop the pulley from spinning so i can remove the bolt. i’m guessing there’s a tool or something i can borrow from a parts store?

You can pull a sparkplug out, then get some rope and feed it into the sparkplug hole. Now turn the pulley bolt counterclockwise slowly, it should stop when the piston in the cylinder pushes up the rope against the cylinder head. Now you should be able to get the bolt off. Once you get the dampner off reinstall the bolt and turn the crank enough to pull the rope out.

no

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If the pan is off you can insert a bar in a crank throw or if the flexplate is installed on the rear it can be clamped or jammed. An impact is probably the best if available as it is easy to tip an engine stand over with a lot of torque on the bolt. I don't know if the Series 2 is similar to the LN3 in that department or not.

• Like 2

Thanks guys I’m gonna try the rope method tonight after work since the pan is on and I’m not sure what I’d use to stop the flex plate.

1 hour ago, 89reattaWI said:

Thanks guys I’m gonna try the rope method tonight after work since the pan is on and I’m not sure what I’d use to stop the flex plate.

Be sure you do it with the piston on the compression stroke. It's possible to damage a valve if it's on the intake stroke.

• Like 2

Thanks guys I managed to remove it and can go on with my rebuild. Incredibly stuck bolt and the pulley itself.

• Like 1