Series 2 ICM Swap

89reattaWI

I have plans with someone to buy a new engine for my reatta. I’m buying a 2004 Chevy Impala and it has the L36. Just wondering if the L36 ICM would work with the LN3 as the L27 ICM does. Might as well swap it over until I install the new engine is what I’m thinking.

I would think that it will but maybe check with something like Rock Auto to see if that part number crosses to earlier engines. My memory says that compatible ICM’s were used right until the end of the 3800 engines.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The 3800's all swap. When I needed more ICM/Coil Packs I used to look for late model low mileage Buicks for them as well as cruise servos...

• Like 1

The back of the ICM looks like it has corrosion or something on it but underneath the coils it looked fine old owner said it ran good. Would it be fine if I clean it and mount it in the reatta? Do I have to do anything before I start it?

3 hours ago, 89reattaWI said:

The back of the ICM looks like it has corrosion or something on it but underneath the coils it looked fine old owner said it ran good. Would it be fine if I clean it and mount it in the reatta? Do I have to do anything before I start it?

Clean it up and run it. just be sure the mounting is tight for good grounding and should be good to go.

• Like 1