STRUT LIFE? and opinion wanted

Clay-Goose-Davis

Considering pulling a pair of rear struts off of an 89 Reatta (68k miles) being parted out.

How many miles did your factory struts last?

(What) Would you pay for used struts?

I replaced my originals at about that mileage. I can't say they were bad, but I sort of went through the whole car the first year after I bought it in '93. Had quite a few miles on it in just a few years. Owned by a salesman as a daily driver. For the cost of the substitutes we have found, as well as availability of new originals, but rather costly, I don't think they are worth much considering the labor to remove and install, and then only if they looked new.  

• Like 2

The guy said he’d take ‘em out and sell for $100 bucks .

Still not sure/ I’ll have to sit on it.

Hopefully others may opine. $100 isn't what it once was and having a backup is better than nothing at all. Read the thread below about the search for rear strut substitutes. If you are handy, you can modify struts for a different model, add the sway bar bracket and have new struts for the same or less money See link below. 

I have one New Reatta rear strut and one Riviera rear strut (which is the same but needs the air bladder removed). Pm me if interested.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2seater said:

Read the thread below about the search for rear strut substitutes. If you are handy, you can modify struts for a different model, add the sway bar bracket and have new struts for the same or less money See link below. 

Thanks! 
I read the whole thread. This community has some good brains, all so interesting.
It looks like the modifiable Regal and Riviera struts are both out of stock, so I’m looking to buy some from someone here.

There is no doubt the supply of substitutes is slowly drying up, but even though the specific part numbers mentioned may not be available, other manufacturers still are, both the strut cartridge to install in a modified stock strut or the rear strut with the bracket that must be removed. If that is not desired, I would suggest you get together with Dave's offer. An honorable member and friend.🙂

• Agree 1

Yes, I’ve PM’d him already.

I’m very excited to get moving with this strut project. 
I am a little nervous about the condition of connecting parts given the added strain due to dead struts. 
I’d assume that other suspension components are easier to come by, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.