O2 Sensor Cross Counts

TripleC321

This is now the second oxygen sensor I’ve replaced in the last 24 hours. First brand was NTK, this one is Walker. 

the sensor voltage is within spec, and the cross counts when driving appear to be in spec, but cross counts at idle seem to be wildly off. I’ve recorded my test in this video (video accessible by this link: https://share.icloud.com/photos/094d4RLSAgmpno4CRwimI85RA)

Is the sensor off while at idle? Or am I just being too picky?

note: if the linked video doesn’t display/play, then upload hasn’t finished yet. Wait a bit then try again.

I don't see anything unusual there. The cross counts are very high relative to what I have seen before which is a good thing, and it is absolutely normal for them to slow down as the sensor cools off. It is just the nature of our system. More modern systems use electrically heated sensors to get them operational more quickly as well as work in all regimes, including extended idle. It has to be hot for it to work and exhaust temperature at slow idle is not hot in relative terms.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well that makes me less concerned. 

I was following the O2 sensor guide on this forum that said idle should be between 4-6 cross counts, which since my recording showed it being waaaaay high I thought something was wrong.

note: all measurements were taken with the car “warm”. I had let it idle in the driveway for 10 minutes before driving.