Replacing rear strut - need to move caliper out of the way?

Edsel-to-Reatta

89 Maui posted a "how to" for replacing the rear struts. His procedure does not mention unbolting and moving the calipers out of the way. However the instructions in the Monroe strut box and the FSM say to unbolt the caliper and hang it out of the way with a wire. If I don't need to deal with the caliper, I would rather not. Has anyone who replaced rear struts done the job without disturbing the caliper?

I'm working on a 1990.

I didn't remove the caliper when I replaced the rear struts. Be careful with the ABS wheel sensor to prevent putting stress on the lead going to it. 

SAM_1042.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I didn't remove the caliper when I replaced the rear struts. Be careful with the ABS wheel sensor to prevent putting stress on the lead going to it. 

SAM_1042.JPG

Great thanks, I won't remove the calipers and will be cautious the the ABS wheel sensor leads.

I replaced all 5 rubber brake hoses. While doing so, I noticed the plastic insulation on parts of the ABS wheel sensor coax leads was crumbling. I just peeled off the crumbled plastic, and recoated the bare wire with 3 coats of black silicone sealant which should protect the leads without having to remove them for replacement. Maybe not as pretty as brand new leads, but should do the job and be durable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I put blocks of wood under the bottom to limit how far the knuckle can lean out when the strut is removed. That prevents putting a strain all the hoses and cables attached to the caliper.

SAM_1757.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I put blocks of wood under the bottom to limit how far the knuckle can lean out when the strut is removed. That prevents putting a strain all the hoses and cables attached to the caliper.

SAM_1757.JPG

I will do the same or use a floor jack. It seems your caliper is removed in this photo. I need to replace the sway bar end link bushings on my Reatta, but ECR is out of stock. Am I out of luck?

30 minutes ago, Edsel-to-Reatta said:

It seems your caliper is removed in this photo.

Just a case of can't see the forest for the trees. It's the rusty thing inside the blue circle. 🙂  Can't help with finding a sway bar bushing.

image.png

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Just a case of can't see the forest for the trees. It's the rusty thing inside the blue circle. 🙂  Can't help with finding a sway bar bushing.

image.png

Ah ye sorry I see the caliper now. Thanks for your tips!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon L said:

Ronnie, Is that the drivers side or the passenger?

Passenger.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know where I can buy new rear struts for a 1990 Reatta.

I don't see any options on line.

Harold

21 hours ago, Harold said:

I would like to know where I can buy new rear struts for a 1990 Reatta.

I don't see any options on line.

Harold

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Welcome to the forum! Try East Coast Reatta Parts for the rear struts.

Marck Barker, owner of ECRP, had Monroe manufacture a huge bunch of rear struts for our Reattas.  Go to East Coast Reatta Parts.