1991 Replacing Engine/Transmission Mounts

Ohjai

I have three of the mounts on hand, ordered the 4th one today, and a small shock damper ordered today also.  Should have the 4 mounts and  shcok damper by the middle of next week.

Is there anything I need to know before I tackle this task?  I read about getting the engine out of align, how can I avoid this/

Is this a task that can be reasonably done on jack stands?  I no longer have access to a lift.

Thanks

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd have a local mechanic install the mounts.  I believe you'd have to slightly lift and support the engine/trans from under neath while replacing the mounts....heavy engine, heavy trans.

• Like 1

Thanks Ship. I have replaced them on my 41 Cadillac, my 78 Rolls, and my 2 1962 Buick Skylarks.  Once the car is on stands I use a jack I kept from one of my early post war Bentley.  It is a screw jack that I can use my 1.2' drive Milwaukee to raise and lower it  I don't have to be concerned about the hydraulic jack bleeding down this way.

Trouble is trying to find a shop that doesn't require a trip to Fort Knox, AND is competent.

• Like 2

I downloaded the instructions and have an appointment at the local repair shop to install my engine cradle mounts. I did the sway bar end bushings last week.

• Like 3

Dave that is a good idea, I will check with my local shop and see if that is something they will do.  I have all the mounts and shocks for my 2 91s.  I need the sway bar bushings and cradle mounts for one car.

Jim

I just got back and the shop took an hour and a half to do the rear 4 mounts as they carry all the weight. I did not have the front two done. I myself did the sway bar end bushings in less then 30 minutes. Very easy when you remove the tires.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:02 PM, DAVES89 said:

I downloaded the instructions and have an appointment at the local repair shop to install my engine cradle mounts.

Did they find the instructions helpful?

The instructions were very helpful and the job went quickly. The old mounts were in pretty good condition. I met 2seater for lunch yesterday and I gave them to him as he and his sons collectively have more Reattas then me and I am sure one day will need them.

• Thanks 1