1991 Spark plug wire cover/support removal

Ohjai

I am wanting to change the plug wires on my 91, put don't want to destroy the cover that is on the front of the engine.

How do you get the cover open without destroying it.

Thanks

Jim

There are two halves, a top and bottom. The top slides up to the engine and then the top tabs come out of the lower part.

So you slide it upward?  Mine appears to be stuck, any hints on how to free it up without breaking it?

I'm trying to remember how this goes. I know there are two pegs that come out of the cylinder head. If memory serves me the entire plastic wire retainer is slid up and removed  then the top slides side ways from the bottom and access is to the wires. I'll try to look at it tomorrow...

This is a photo of the two piece assembly upside down and inside out. The two rectangles standing upright from the top are latches that secure the entire assembly. There are three guides on the front of the valve cover with matching receiver grooves in the plug wire loom. You must release the latches which catch on the lower lip of the valve cover and the assembly slides up and off. One latch is in line with #1 plug and the second is between 3&5. A small pocket screwdriver works fine to release. 
After it is in hand, there is a latch on the right side that will allow the outer cover to slide toward the left to release the small catches and it folds open. 

IMG_0286.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Dave.  I just went out to the car.  I felt the one on the right hand side, I will attack it Saturday.

Thank You, Thank You, thank you.  That made the job easy, and I did not destroy the plastic holder.

I now have the plugs, plug wires and coils changed on both cars.

• Like 1