Wind Noise at Speed

TripleC321

I’ve been trying to track down the cause and fix a wind leak on the driver side door of my 1988. 

when above 60MPH, the wind noise from the driver door gets quite loud. I’ve verified there is no rips on the weatherstripping, and I’ve blasted it with a water hose to see if it might be leaking somewhere, but I find no water intrusion when doing so. 

Any suggestions on how to track it down?

Turn the HVAC Blower on high, close the doors and windows.  Using a soapy water solution spray it around the windshield, windows doors and rear window.  Look for bubbles blowing out of the car.

I have a smoke machine and I wave the smoke around the areas looking for a disturbance in the smoke.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I just had another thought that may work.  On a hot day, turn the AC on the coldest setting with the bower at high speed.  Use an infrared thermometer to scan the windows and doors.

Or, on a cold day turn the heat to the highest setting with blower on high, then use the infrared thermometer.

With the AC blowing cold and on high, I sort of closed the door, I was able to see cold air escaping with my FLIR.  I also found the air is escaping through both door handles.  With both doors shut tight, no leakage through the windows, but you can really feel it coming out the door handles.

The AC in my 01 Coupe stopped working in was low on refrigerant.  The low pressure switch was not activating.  Put 12Volts on the clutch relay contact, and compressor started.  Used the TECH 1 to reset the error code, put the gauges on and put a charge of R134A into the system and it now works fine.  I was able to find most of what I needed by doing a search on this forum and the AACA.

• Like 2