Help with headlight switch

taxbill

This is my first attempt at the forum . A friend of mine passed away leaving a 1989 that has not been driven sense 2014. His wife has asked me to sell the car. I have been able to get the car running and driving. The problem that I have is the headlight switch, the parking lights would not turn off. I removed the switch from the dash. When I took the covers off the switch this part fell on the work bench (see picture). I can not find where it goes. I was hoping that someone in the forum wold be able to in lighten me as to where it goes? I was able to get the switch working. This car has a sun roof is there  way to tell if it is an original or an after market?

20230814_151032.jpg

19 hours ago, taxbill said:

This car has a sun roof is there  way to tell if it is an original or an after market?

If the exterior of sunroof has a metal cover, then it is original.

• Agree 1

It has a metal cover. I'm glad that it is an original this car needs all the help it can get. Thank you for the information.

I just rebuilt my headlight switch, but it's a 1990, a bit different inside, and nothing like that fell out of mine. There is a good write up on rebuilding a headlight switch on the Antique Automobile Club of America site, but again, it is for a 1990. But I bet if you read the thread, take yours apart and compare, you can probably figure out where that bit came from. 

Good luck.

-derdachshund

Thanks for the information. I will take a look and see if there is anything I can use.

It's been years since I have seen the inside of both the '88/89 switch and the '90/91 switch and from memory I believe they are not alike inside. Jim Finn should have good used ones he sells on exchange. I may have a "Driver" grade available for an outright sale. I would have to look. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind. The owner doesn't have a lot of money to spend  on this car. So I am trying to keep the expenses to a minimum. I am still holding out hope that someone will know where this part goes. The one that I am working on is very similar to the one pictured in DAVES89 photo. It is  Red/gray.

Edited by taxbill

For 1990, the fog light switch is part of the headlight mechanism.  For 1991, the fog light switch is on the center console.

Edited by ship