1988 fuel pump replacement

Gregoryb

So I had a long crank to start problem and fuel pressure fast drop after shut off so I replaced the fuel pump and the pulsator was shot after that started right away now it’s starting to take a long time to start again and pressure drops after shut off not as fast but fast I don’t get it geerr 

fuel injection?

Did you install a new pulsator or the short substitute hose that usually comes with a new pump. If the hose was installed, was it clamped in place?

• Agree 1

I had a similar problem on 2 Reattas.   One was fixed with a new fuel pump, and the other one with a new fuel pump relay.

When you shut the car off the pressure should stay up for how long?

Yeah I probably got a leaker that’s probably why it idles roughly sometimes and exhausts smells strong.

when I put the new pump and bypass hose in that wasn’t helping is a hair slower drop now.

can I replace one at a time with different name brands?

There are ways to test but it requires some form of fixture to hold them. You can leave them attached to the fuel rail and lift them up out of the manifold so the tip of the injectors are visible and then pressurize the rail with the key on. If there is a leaker, it will spray of drool fuel. It requires a bit of wiggling and twisting to get them to release, especially if they have never been removed before.

Yes, they can be replaced but all of them must match when finished. Lots of places on the net to get good used takeouts. You want ~19#/hr Bosch Type 3 for best upgrade. Must have EV1 electrical connection and the groove at the top for the retainer clip in the rail. Sets are plentiful and very reasonably priced.

Although rare, it's possible the fuel pressure regulator is allowing the pressure to escape down the return line when the pump is  off. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregoryb said:

I’m just going to try replacing all the injectors 

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it turns out.

• 4 weeks later...

Update 

instead of putting injectors in I had my mechanic install a $10 check valve in the back fuel line starts perfectly now 

Eventually I will replace the injectors does anyone know if smp injectors are any good?

1 hour ago, Gregoryb said:

Update 

instead of putting injectors in I had my mechanic install a $10 check valve in the back fuel line starts perfectly now 

Thanks for letting us know. It  might help someone in the future who have the same problem.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gregoryb said:

Eventually I will replace the injectors does anyone know if smp injectors are any good?

Do you have a link to them? That sounds like a vendor rather than an injector brand. Your original injectors should be Bosch 280150901. They were only used in the 3800 in the Reatta years but even Walmart offers refurbed ones. Something like these would be the type 3 upgrade:

6 Genuine Bosch Fuel Injectors For 87-98 JEEP Cherokee 4.0 0280155710 EV1 4 hole | eBay