Rear Brake Pad HELP!

zenom

I got the brake caliper off, the old pads came out on their own.  I cannot open the caliper enough to put the pads in.  It is held up by the emergency brake it appears.   I have disconnected the spring and cable but that did not help.  I saw another post with some diagrams but it didn’t make sense to me.  There is an 18mm or so nut that is holding the whole ebrake assembly to the back of the caliper, but I cannot break it loose.  

I got the new rotors on, I just need to get the pads in. 

Please advise.  

IMG_3019.jpeg

IMG_3018.jpeg

The piston has to be screwed in to give clearance for the new pads to go in. There is a tool that looks like a cube made to fit the piston for that purpose.

Thanks to Barney Eaton for the drawing.

piston_explode.jpg

piston_tool.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The piston has to be screwed in to give clearance for the new pads to go in. There is a tool that looks like a cube made to fit the piston for that purpose.

Thanks to Barney Eaton for the drawing.

piston_explode.jpg

piston_tool.jpg

I used that and have the piece in and have it straight up and down. I did finally get the other push pin bolt out so I can take top of the caliper off. 

now I am assuming I use the ring to snap the one brake pad in and then lower the top of the caliper down on to the bolted part.  

was having a heck of a time trying to get that pad on. I screwed the ring on and put the pad on but it kept falling off.    

feel like I am close to getting this buttoned up but am struggling the last little bit here. 

image.jpg

The adjuster doesn't seem to be screwed all the way in from what I see in the photo. Are you holding the screw to keep it from turning when you are using the tool to turn the piston?

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The adjuster doesn't seem to be screwed all the way in from what I see in the photo. Are you holding the screw to keep it from turning when you are using the tool to turn the piston?

I was not holding any screw.  Which screw needs to be held?  Also is there a good way to put this clip in?  Do I put the clip on and then screw it down with the piston? 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The painted calipers and the drilled and slotted disc look really good!

Thank you.  What screw needs to be held while screwing in the piston? 

The emergency brake lever attaches to the end of the screw and keeps the screw from turning while you screw the piston in.

Look at the adjuster screw in the first photo I posted. That is what the parking brake lever attaches to. Without the lever or something to hold it the screw can just spin when you turn the piston in.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Look at the adjuster screw in the first photo I posted. That is what the parking brake lever attaches to. Without the lever or something to hold it the screw can just spin when you turn the piston in.

There are two screws back there.  One is a torx and the other about 18mm locking nut that the lever for the ebrake goes too. That one? 

The parking brake lever circled in blue is what holds the screw (blue arrow) to keep it from turning when you are screw in the piston.

REAR_disc_brake_Components.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The parking brake lever circled in blue is what holds the screw (blue arrow) to keep it from turning when you are screw in the piston.

REAR_disc_brake_Components.jpg

That screw is not turning.   If I turn clockwise in passenger side the piston comes out. Counter the piston goes in. 

I have this clip on the piston but the back break pad just always falls off.

I am trying to get the pad to clip. Off the car I can but I need to screw that clip on to the piston, correct?   What is the best way to put that pad on?   The other pad has clips, this doesn’t. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, zenom said:

I got the brake caliper off, the old pads came out on their own.  I cannot open the caliper enough to put the pads in.  It is held up by the emergency brake it appears.   I have disconnected the spring and cable but that did not help.  I saw another post with some diagrams but it didn’t make sense to me.  There is an 18mm or so nut that is holding the whole ebrake assembly to the back of the caliper, but I cannot break it loose.  

I got the new rotors on, I just need to get the pads in. 

Above was your original question that I was trying to help with. I don't know how the clip goes but I don't see how the pad could fall out once you have the pads inserted and the caliper on top of them.

• Like 1

It looks like a couple of the tabs on the ring are broken off. The tabs should hold the inner brake pad. The bumps on the brake pad fit into the piston indents. Make sure they are lined up with orientation of the brake pads. Turn the piston a bit if necessary. Make sure the piston is all the way in. It's a fiddley arrangement for install, and clearance is "just enough." Looks like you're almost there.

24 minutes ago, Ron Walker said:

It looks like a couple of the tabs on the ring are broken off. The tabs should hold the inner brake pad. The bumps on the brake pad fit into the piston indents. Make sure they are lined up with orientation of the brake pads. Turn the piston a bit if necessary. Make sure the piston is all the way in. It's a fiddley arrangement for install, and clearance is "just enough." Looks like you're almost there.

Thanks. Yeah the tabs are there. It is definitely not the greatest design.  Going to try again tomorrow.  I did have to spread the tabs to get it to fit on the pad.  It also seems you have to screw the clip on the piston before connecting the pad. Is that correct or is there a way to connect to brake pad then put on the piston? 

In my situation, the ring just slipped into position onto the piston and did not screw on. The pad fit between the tabs, but the tabs didn't grip the pad. So, when the pad and ring were put in place on the piston, they fell apart, over and over again, until finally it held together for the install. Thus, fiddley. Good luck.

On the Red I switched to a 1996 Cadillac caliper. No more brake rattle or clip ring. Does require 16" wheels as the caliper is bigger. Also the hook up for the e brake is different and requires a trip to the you pick yard. I bought the calipers on close out from Rock Auto.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, DAVES89 said:

On the Red I switched to a 1996 Cadillac caliper. No more brake rattle or clip ring. Does require 16" wheels as the caliper is bigger. Also the hook up for the e brake is different and requires a trip to the you pick yard. I bought the calipers on close out from Rock Auto.

I put them on without that anti rattle clip. Test drive had zero problem. The fronts are being worked on now.   We already have 16” rims.  Will look into those calipers just in case. 

• Like 1