Radio module pops and clicks - Bad capacitors?

Gregoryb

Thanks for the reply!!

I got a pressure gauge coming today and yes I hear the pump.

I got one more question my crt works good but my radio has the pops and low volume and my antenna would run all the time so I disconnected it guy next door had a stock gm same run does the 1988 have the caps that go bad and if so what’s the location of them in the crt?

maybe the power at the antenna makes static? I have the antenna disconnected at the relay now.

21 minutes ago, Gregoryb said:

my crt works good but my radio has the pops and low volume and my antenna would run all the time so I disconnected it guy next door had a stock gm same run does the 1988 have the caps that go bad and if so what’s the location of them in the crt?

The radio module in your '88 models does have capacitors that go bad in it and cause the pops and clicks. I changed the caps myself many years ago using the instructions here on ROJ. The module is a silver box located inside the center console. The CRT only controls it so the CRT isn't the cause of the pops.

Reatta Owners Journal - Radio Module Replacement

Your power antenna probably has the cable inside it broken causing motor to continue to run. It can be repaired.

So the one you have on here is the one in the console?

18 minutes ago, Gregoryb said:

So the one you have on here is the one in the console?

I didn't do the guide on replacing the caps that is here on ROJ but I basically followed it to replace the green caps in mine.

When I replaced my capacitors I didn't get into the details of temperature ratings and size. I took mine out, then took them to a local TV repair shop and said "I need six of these". He gave me the ones that I needed and I soldered them in. That stopped the pops and clicks that were running me crazy before I did the repairs.

Be nice to find a used module for a different car I don’t see any 

5 minutes ago, Gregoryb said:

Be nice to find a used module for a different car I don’t see any 

There's a whole list of radio modules that will fit here on ROJ. Look it up.

Sorry I hate to drive you nuts but I’m new at forums I can’t find anything 😬

Click on search bar above. Enter Radio Module for author enter Ronnie. Then sort through the posts that pop up.

Edited by DAVES89

32 minutes ago, Gregoryb said:

Sorry I hate to drive you nuts but I’m new at forums I can’t find anything 😬

No problem at all. Sorry if I sounded rude. I assumed because you had saw the How-to guide on the capacitors you had seen all the guide about the radio here on ROJ. Here is where  you will find the list of radios that will work and other radio related stuff. Click on the link below and scroll down to radio modules that will fit. When you get time take a look around in the How-to  guides. There is lots of information there once you learn your way around.

Reatta Owners Journal - Radio, Cassette & CD

Oh no not at all I just bought this car we call it Fred nice shape but a pain so far.

so it looks like you send it in or fix yourself?

9 minutes ago, Gregoryb said:

so it looks like you send it in or fix yourself?

Or find a used on at the local junk yard. However, as old as these radios are  you might get one that also has bad caps in it to.

The following radios are known to work in the Buick Reatta.

1986-89 Buick Riviera. 1986-87 Riviera may not have support for the remote cassette deck found in 88/89 model Reattas. They may also lack the graphic equalizer function. Those modules will have bass/treble controls instead.

1988-94 GM and Chevy pickups:  C/K (e.g., 1500 and 2500) pickups, Suburbans, Yukons, etc.

1989-92 Toronado or Trofeo that has the VIC touchscreen instead of the conventional radio head unit. Only a small percentage apparently had this feature

Be aware that not all radios that fit have all the features that are standard in the Buick Reatta. Some lack the graphic equalizer function. They will have the regular bass/treble controls found in many GM cars. Non-equallizer radios will work fine as the CRT system is programmed to recognize and will adapt it's displayed controls to the features of the installed radio module.

There are many other Buick, Olds and Cadillac models in the late 80's to early 90's range that have modules that will work, but not all have identical features. Some lack the EQ and get regular bass/treble controls, others (Cadillac) have no inboard amplifier as they were part of a Bose system that used outboard amp modules at each speaker.

Probably just try to do it myself or send it in.

thanks for all the help I just want to get fred running first 

We'll just put the fuel gauge on it herd the pump didn't get very high cranked like crazy pressure came up slowly soon as it hit 30 psi it started then when I turn it off it leaks back down and it the same crank and slow pressure
rise.
fuel pump?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ronnie 

got my antenna rebuilt working good now the pops say when you split the boards are they connected by a pin plug?

I did mine so many years ago that I honestly don't remember much about how I did it.