1988 reatta not starting all the time

Gregoryb

Hi all

i just bought a one owner 1988 reatta with 57,000 miles she is in great shape but on the way home we stopped at a local car show and upon leaving the car just cranked no start like out of gas but finally started I have owned for 2 weeks now and it does this every time I drive it don’t matter hot or cold really bums me out.

so far I have replaced the maf sensor and fuel pressure regulator and no luck.

not setting any codes the abs light comes on once and a while.

thanks

Welcome to the forum! Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds each time you turn the key to the RUN position? It should run to prime the fuel system with pressure and then shut off.

If you do hear the pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key to the RUN position you should check the fuel pressure with a gauge when the engine won't start. It should have at least 30-35 psi of pressure for the engine to start and run.

I have had this issue of not starting on the 1st crank and then starting on the 2nd or 3rd crank on several different occasions.   On the '89 coupe it was the fuel pump relay.   On the '90 it was a bad fuel pump.   On the '90 the second time around, it was a failing crank sensor.   In all instances, the problem just appeared out of nowhere and lingered on until fixed or simply failed to start at all (bad fuel pump).

Oh and I got a camshaft position sensor coming also

We’ll just put the fuel gauge on it herd the pump didn’t get very high cranked like crazy pressure came up slowly soon as it hit 30 psi it started then when I turn it off it leaks back down and it the same crank and slow pressure rise.

fuel pump?

what do you recommend for fuel pump?

Don’t understand the pressure leaking down though?

A slow pressure rise may be caused by a plugged up fuel filter, a leaking pressure regulator, a weak fuel pump or internal fuel tank leak where the pump connects to the external fuel line.  The fuel pressure will always leak down over time even on a perfect system, but it should hold pressure for several minutes after shut down. If it leaks down visibly immediately on shut down it likely has an internal leak somewhere. 

With a fuel pressure gauge attached, turn the key on until the pump stops after a few seconds, turn the key off and turn it back on after a few seconds for second pump prime to see if the pressure will increase further. In a good system, the pressure should spike immediately to more than 40 psi. Report back if the second prime helps the pressure rise and the approximate time it takes for the pressure to bleed off.

• Agree 1

I was going to try a fuel pump its got a new regulator.

it needs to crank for a bit to get the pressure up to 30 off and on don’t do it.

maybe a fuel injector?

but once it starts it runs good 

You mentioned you could hear the fuel pump for a couple seconds with the key on. Does the fuel pressure rise by some amount when the key is turned on?

If the pressure doesn't rise with key on, is it possible you are hearing the brake pressure pump running instead?

6 minutes ago, Gregoryb said:

it needs to crank for a bit to get the pressure up to 30 off and on don’t do it.

While you have a gauge you should do all the fuel pump testis before changing the pump . 

Fuel Pressure Testing

It all seems to point to the pump I bought one and found a guy that works out of his house he’s got a lift I’m getting to old to drop a tank.

I bought a Delhi pump I hope it’s right there it’s a special reatta pump is there?

1 hour ago, Gregoryb said:

It all seems to point to the pump I bought one and found a guy that works out of his house he’s got a lift I’m getting to old to drop a tank.

I bought a Delhi pump I hope it’s right there it’s a special reatta pump is there?

I did the same thing and have no regrets paying someone to do it. Easy job on a lift. Delphi FE0039 pump is what I bought for my '88 model.

😊

thanks so much for everything!!

My mom always wanted one of these cars she almost bought one new she has been gone for 10 years this is for you mom!

• Like 2