Seat Belt Retraction

TripleC321

Both of my seat belts on my 88 no longer auto retract as they should. 

the passenger side no longer retracts past halfway, and the driver side only retracts after I give it a good yank and let go. 

do they just need lubricated? Is there a fix?

There is no repairing seat belt retractors for obvious safety and liability issues. Try Jim Finn.

You could try taking it apart and report back with your results...

I have no idea how that assembly even gets removed, or comes apart tbh. 

I haven't stripped that far down before but I believe there are two retractors, one for shoulder and one for belt. Is it possible the partial retract is bound up because of a twisted belt? Your factory service manual should have the pertinent diagrams, but I have no personal experience. 

After messing with it a bit more, it appears the seat belt might be a safety hazard now. 

I yanked on both top and bottom retractors hard and fast to simulate a car wreck. Unlike every other vehicle I’ve done this own, the Reatta seat belt does not stop abruptly. It will roll out to its limit. 

it appears if I ever get in a front end wreck with it, I’m probably a goner since the seatbelt won’t stop me. 

That doesn't sound good. I would try Jim Finn for parts and he will know how to get at the mounts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TripleC321 said:

I yanked on both top and bottom retractors hard and fast to simulate a car wreck. Unlike every other vehicle I’ve done this own, the Reatta seat belt does not stop abruptly. It will roll out to its limit. 

Mine does the same. If you get the car moving just a little and tap the brake, I think you will find that the seat belt will be locked and you won't be able to pull it out while holding the brake pedal down. I don't know it for a fact, but I believe the seat belt relies on inertia (maybe a pendulum) to lock it.

Try that and let us know what happens. If you still don't trust it get another seatbelt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2