ABS pump/accumulator

Bobs Buick

Hello, I have a 1989 and the rear brake lines were rusted so I replaced all of  them and the rear callipers and flex lines. Now I can bleed the front but the rear has no pressure. The pump runs continues. I tried to loosen the accumulator and the line by it while it is running and no pressure buildup. I was told it’s the pump and/or accumulator. Another mechanic said there is a valve in the abs that is stuck and open the front bleeders and jamb down on the pedal and it will reset it, tried a few times and didn’t work. Hope I can get a little more info. Or if I need the pump/ accumulator 

If your pump runs continuously and doesn’t stop (should take about 1.5 minutes to fully pressure after sitting overnight) then it’s the accumulator. 

If that’s the case, I highly recommend not driving it until the accumulator is replaced. Driving it with the pump continuously running drastically shortens the lifespan of the already old pump, and will cause premature failure. That’s an even harder and more expensive part to get over the accumulator. 

• Like 1

Since all the fluid was drained out of the brake lines and the calipers the fluid probably has drained out of the pump to. The pumps on the TEVES system aren't designed to push air out to prime the pump with fluid. I would connect a hand vacuum like a Mityvac to the line coming out of the pump and suck the air out of the pump while sucking fluid into the pump from the reservoir.  Then connect the hand vacuum pump to the bleeder valve and try to suck air out of the calipers and brake lines while holding the brake pedal down WITHOUT turning the key on and running the pump. Once you get all the air out you can that way, follow the how-to guide here on ROJ for bleeding the rear brakes with the pump running..

• Like 1

Agree the pump is likely air locked. Make sure the brakes have been pumped down with the pedal which should be rock hard. I have used this procedure;. I unscrew the steel line that comes out of the pump near the accumulator, move the line out of the way of the hole and apply vacuum with a catch can directly to the opening with the pump running. It should prime in a short time. Turn off the key. Once bled, reconnect the line and it should pressurize and the pump will stop. Proceed with bleeding the brakes as instructed.

• Like 1

Cool thanks , I’m not able to get to it today. I’ll try it tomorrow. I did open the bleeders one by one and gravity bled them and also did the hand vacuum pump on each. I also disconnected the line by the accumulator and turned the key on and nothing came out I also loosened the accumulator and a little piff came out but maybe tomorrow I’ll try the vacuum pump where the little line is by the accumulator 

3 hours ago, Bobs Buick said:

Cool thanks , I’m not able to get to it today. I’ll try it tomorrow. I did open the bleeders one by one and gravity bled them and also did the hand vacuum pump on each. I also disconnected the line by the accumulator and turned the key on and nothing came out I also loosened the accumulator and a little piff came out but maybe tomorrow I’ll try the vacuum pump where the little line is by the accumulator 

I know the book says it should self bleed and maybe it will, eventually, but I found applying vacuum was a great help. The pump works on a small amount of weight being flung to the outside of a chamber to do the pumping and air just doesn't seem to get the job done. Good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got a chance and tried the ideas and I sure appreciate the help. I Used the vacuum pump everywhere and got fluid from all spots and the pump still runs continuously and no pressure at the rear. Seems like the pump is not working 

Do you get fluid flow from the main steel pressure line opening if you loosen the fitting with the pump running?

I get fluid from all the spots with the vacuum pump but when I turn the pump on it just runs and it doesn’t push any fluid 

If you can pull solid fluid from the pressure port, but the flow doesn’t self sustain without vacuum the only thing to try is a replacement pump and motor assembly. It is unusual but it is possible for the pistons to stick in their bore. Don’t throw it away as it can be taken apart and perhaps repaired

• Like 1

Cool thanks, maybe I’ll try to take it apart and see if it is stuck 

It’s kinda weird, I put the vacuum pump on it and I pump up the vacuum to the max and it holds vacuum and just draws a little fluid and a little air but holds for a long time 

1 hour ago, Bobs Buick said:

It’s kinda weird, I put the vacuum pump on it and I pump up the vacuum to the max and it holds vacuum and just draws a little fluid and a little air but holds for a long time 

The vacuum pump helps eliminate air because the pump is a two piston design that depends on gravity and the rotational force to fling them to the outside with a ball bearing BB sized wear surface that rides against the inside of an oval bore. The fluid flows through tiny drilled passages in the length of the rotor shaft so flows are small and purging may take a bit of coaxing. See diagram below

Translated Teves II.jpg

• Like 1