My 91 with 76,000 miles has an ABS 025 code

Ohjai

My 91 is throwing out an ABS 025 code that says it is the front left wheel speed sensor.  Reading the manual, they have me doing several continuity checks.  But what is the common fault that throws a wheel speed sensor error code?  Is it an easy fix or do I have stand on my head, spit nickels, while turning a 9.75 mm wrench?

The 

Amber ABS light is illuminated, there are no other ABS codes.  I reset the code, but it comes back on as soon as I start moving, so it is an active code.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by Ohjai

The 1991 Reatta wheel speed sensor is a one year only sensor lead. A Buick Riviera also uses the same lead but I am not sure what other cars use them. You will not get a salvage yard to cut out a lead for you, you must buy the "knuckle" or wheel assembly. My best advice is www.car-part.com to find a 1991 near you and visit that yard. 

To test;

Track the lead through the inner fender to the engine compartment and disconnect the lead from the car harness by squeezing the lead plug on the flats and pulling them apart. Test with an ohm meter, any resistance is good. 

There has been much discussion on which side is right or left. Standard practice is that sitting in the driver's seat the right side is the passenger side. It has been my experience that in regards to the ABS leads, as you face the car at the engine compartment the right side is the driver's side. That has been my experience with the 1988-1990 Reattas.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Could this be the ABS sensor wire?  If not, do you have any idea where the other end is connected?

Jim

Yellow connector with cut wire, left side.jpg

The ends of the black wire read 1,560 Ohms, the internal to the over sheath is brown/white stripe and black.  It disappears into the strut tower, heading to the wheel area.

it appears the yellow connector wire goes into the cabin.

Edited by Ohjai

That is a good number. There is a lead on the drivers side and passenger side. there are also one on each wheel in the rear of the car. I would check them all.

• Thanks 1

Save thanks for the heads up about left and right ABS definitions.  Looking at the wiring diagram a tan wire goes to the right wheel sensor, that is what I have.  Someone cut the wire right at the connector end, that may be a bit difficult to repair.

Considering LEFT and RIGHT, I am 84 years old and never learned my left or right..  When in the Air Force I had to carry a rock in one of my hands, but the DI never called out ROCK turn.

The large ships on the Great Lake are required to have large signs LEFT and RIGHT above the windows so they can communicate with non mariners.

Jim

• Haha 2

It is a coaxial cable. You can go to a store and get a TV coaxial connector/ends and do the repair

Not a coax.  Two individual wires in a sheath.  One is tan, the other is black.  The connector is yellow with 2 connections inside of it.

20230613_192606[1].jpg

20230613_192649[1].jpg

Is this the Bosch system? Unshielded wiring or two conductors with a shield?

• Like 1

It is 2 wire with an outer plastic covering.  I just pealed back a half inch or so and it does not appear to be shielded going into the cabin.