Ronnie's New Toy - off topic (Mercedes)

Ronnie

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Well, I made up my mind. I sold it last week. I decided it wasn't a good Reatta replacement.

Below is the last photo I took of it. I hope the land behind it never sells. Over the last 20 years I have sold 7 cars from that spot on the side of the road.

Last Photo 10-13-23-2.jpg

So now what?!?

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

So now what?!?

At this point I really don't know. I've been looking at a lot of different kinds of cars on Facebook Marketplace to see what be a good fit for me. It's going to have to be a 2 door, comfortable,  relatively easy to get parts for, and fun to drive. I'm going to take my time and see if a car the fits that description pops up.

2 hours ago, ship said:

Ronnie, If I were you, I'd now be looking for a '91 Reatta convertible.  Just sayin...

Oddly enough, I like coupes better than convertibles. If it weren't for the problem of obtaining parts, which is getting worse by the day (and getting more expensive), I would consider a nice, low mileage '91 model, but I' not sure it's the right car for me anymore.

These cars have really caught my eye. They are sleek looking like a Reatta, with a 330 HP V6, and rear wheel drive that I like. Luxury like a Reatta inside. And Japanese reliability.

Infinity G37

391623741_999798031295779_30252528474629

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

These cars have really caught my eye. They are sleek looking like a Reatta, with a 330 HP V6, and rear wheel drive that I like. Luxury like a Reatta inside. And Japanese reliability.

Infinity G37

391623741_999798031295779_30252528474629

I DO like that!

Not yet but something may be coming along soon.  This past Wednesday I went to an old friend's house who's wife recently passed away. I couldn't go to her funeral and I wanted to pay my condolences in person instead of calling because I had worked with him for over 20 years.

Before I left we went to his garage to look at his Harley Davidson. While looking at the Harley I noticed there was a car covered with sheets in the garage. He said it was his wife's car. He uncovered it so I could get a look at it.

It was a 2006 Mercedes SLK280 hardtop convertible with around 61,000 miles on it. It looks like new. He said he was going to sell it but wasn't ready to let go yet.  He said he would call me when he was ready to sell and we'll see if we can work out a deal. I didn't have my phone to take a photo of it. Below is a photo I found on the internet of one just like it. 

2006 slk280.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

That is a beautiful car. You sure no how to find neat cars!

Thanks Dave. I hope it's big enough that I will be comfortable in it, and cheap enough that it will be in my price range. I didn't try to get in it when I saw it on Wednesday. He had boxes stacked all around it that contained clothes and other things of his wife's that he was going to donate. I could open the driver's door enough to peek inside. It looked pretty small to me. I didn't ask him to move the boxes just for me to sit in it since he wasn't ready to sell it.

Looks to be about the size of a Reatta.  If you were comfortable your Reatta, you probably won't have a problem with this one.  Guarantee it's a smoother ride and more powerful, though.  Beautiful looking machine.  Hope you can acquire it in the near future.

• Like 2

I had a 2001 SLK 320 I purchased new.  I really loved that car, but after I retired I wanted to play radio, so I purchased a 2008 Caravan and loaded it with Amateur radios and traveled around the country in it.  Lots of fun, sold the SLK, then got interested in old cars in 2010 and purchased a 1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II, sold it 2 years ago.

It appears my oldest son has commandeered the 91 Reatta hardtop for his highway car.  Perhaps I will look into renewing my love of the SLK.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ohjai said:

I had a 2001 SLK 320 I purchased new.  I really loved that car, but after I retired I wanted to play radio, so I purchased a 2008 Caravan and loaded it with Amateur radios and traveled around the country in it.  Lots of fun, sold the SLK, then got interested in old cars in 2010 and purchased a 1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II, sold it 2 years ago.

It appears my oldest son has commandeered the 91 Reatta hardtop for his highway car.  Perhaps I will look into renewing my love of the SLK.

You've had some interesting cars and hobbies.

• Agree 1

Ronnie, after your post about an SLK, I started lusting for one.  Did a search and had lots of fun reminiscing  Yeh it was fun, but so is the Reatta.  I decided to forget the SLK and search for another 91 Reatta Coupe.  These cars are fixable and great fun to drive.

The SLK kind of scares me with the hydraulics and electronics of the top, plus it is product of the 21st Century, many, many pollution and safety things to go awry, and then getting parts from Germany.  I think I have had enough off shore cars to last me the rest of my days.  Plus, if I want to renew the agony, I still have a 1978 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II to remind me.

2 hours ago, Ohjai said:

The SLK kind of scares me with the hydraulics and electronics of the top, plus it is product of the 21st Century, many, many pollution and safety things to go awry, and then getting parts from Germany.

I've been thinking the same thing.  It's such a beautiful car I will have to go look at it and see if I can fit comfortably in it when he calls but I will have to get it cheap enough that I can pay someone to work on it who knows what they're doing. The people on the MB forums aren't as helpful as the people on the Reatta forums. I see that as a big drawback when buying something as complicated as the SLK.

• Like 1

I had a 1989 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur for 10 years and put close to 60,000 mile on it.  This was a great car, but in 1990 and each year  after, "improvements" were made to meet emissions and safety rules.  They took an absolutely wonderful car and turned it into something extremely difficult to work on.  I sold it to a friend of mine and he now has it for sale at St. Louis Car Museum.  Here is the link

https://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/vehicles/1024/1989-rolls-royce-silver-spur-saloon

I am content to stay with my 2 Reattas, along with my two 1962 Buick Skylarks., 78 Silver Shadow, 41 Cadillac and 38 Cadillac.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the deal with me getting the Mercedes SLK from my friend is probably dead. I ran into him at Cracker Barrell and he said his step-son had asked him to not sell it until he decided if he wants to buy it. I think he will probably take it... although, he had said earlier that he didn't want it. I'm not in a hurry. If this doesn't work out something else will come along.  Maybe someone will offer me a low mileage '91 Reatta at a good price. 🙂 

My neighbor has one of these, a Saturn Sky. His is red. It looks really good when it goes by my house.  If I miss out on the SLK I'm going to start looking around for one of them in red, white or black.  They are a much simpler car than a Mercedes. They have a 4 cylinder engine and a manually operated top. I like that.

Saturn Sky-1.jpeg

• Agree 2