Does anyone know what steel was used for the reatta body panels?

89reattaWI

I read a few forums and they said it was steel but I need to know the metal code if there is one so I can fix a large amount of rust and save my reatta. Would it be the same steel for the structural metal? Might have to weld in more new metal than I’d like to.

There is a salvage yard that has Reattas called;

Auto Parts and Recycling

W4726 County Road A

Fredonia, Wi. 53021

262-692-2886

They will either pull your parts or you can pull them yourself. Very reasonable in price.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear with what I wanted to do. I’m gonna be welding in a metal plate after I cut around the rusted out areas. The fenders in the back are pretty bad. I just need to know what metal to buy (most metal I see has an identification number. Like the stainless I need for my headers is 304 stainless steel.) so I can TIG weld it to my reatta and make it look all pretty again. I’ll definitely go over to fredonia for the ‘91 ignition coils and the module so thank you.

Sorry I have no idea what metal you need. 

I don't have much to add on the type of steel used, but I wouldn't think the Reatta is any different than contemporary GM cars. The process used in the processing before, during and after paint may have been unique to Reatta. I think they were painted by a paint manufacturer but the name escapes me now. One way to be certain is to obtain cutouts from salvage yard Reattas?

17 hours ago, 2seater said:

I think they were painted by a paint manufacturer but the name escapes me now. 

Employees from PPG (Pittsburg Paint and Glass) painted the Reattas at the Reatta Craft Center.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:36 AM, 89reattaWI said:

I read a few forums and they said it was steel but I need to know the metal code if there is one so I can fix a large amount of rust and save my reatta. Would it be the same steel for the structural metal? Might have to weld in more new metal than I’d like to.

Most 1990 vintage body panels were 1006 to 1013 steel.  Very low carbon for formability and welding

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:39 PM, alchemist said:

Most 1990 vintage body panels were 1006 to 1013 steel.

Thanks a bunch. Do you know if using the same steel is really that serious. For example if it has 1006 steel and I try to use 1013, would it affect the weld.

I'm not a body man but I've known a few over the years and had them do some work for me. The ones I know wouldn't weld in a piece of sheet medal to make a repair if rust is a problem. You can't weld to rust. If there is a lot of rust around the wheelwell for example, they wouldn't attempt to patch it with sheet metal. They would replace the whole quarter panel with a good, rust free one. The cuts to replace it would be made inside the trunk and inside the door jambs so they could easily be hidden without a lot of body filler. Not trying to discourage you. Just throwing in my two cents.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 12:33 PM, Ronnie said:

The ones I know wouldn't weld in a piece of sheet medal to make a repair if rust is a problem. You can't weld to rust.

Well it’s not completely rusted I’d still have most of my fenders if I cut 1/4-1/2 away from the rust. I know I can do it I just needed to know what metal to buy. Thank you guys for the answers, this forum is great Ronnie.

• Like 1

You can weld anything less than 1030 together without issue.  The lower the carbon (last two digits, i.e. 0.30% or less) the better.

Edited by alchemist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1