ALDL Scanner

89reattaWI

Last time I checked my CRT screen would not turn on so I don't have any access to the diagnostics. I read that the Reatta has ALDL but I know nothing about these sorts of things. can I use an OBD1 scanner or are they different?

ODB1 scanner will work but they are getting hard to find. If you just need to check to see if any codes are stored in the ECM you can short 2 pins in the ALDL connector under the dash and count the flashes of the SES light. Below is the way to do it on my '88 model. '89 could be different but I doubt it.

-Use a paper clip to jump between terminals A and B on the ALDL connector under the dash on the left hand side. 

-Next turn your key on but don't start the engine.

-Watch your check engine light flash the codes. The light will flash twice for each code, pause and then flash the next code stored.

-EXAMPLE: code 12: one long flash and two short flashes. Code 13: one long flash and 3 short flashes.

-Note: code 12 is usually the first code you get and just ignore it. If that is the only code you get it means there are no trouble codes stored

Watch for the codes after code 12, that's what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Check eBay for an OTC 2000 scanner with later GM, 3in1, or Pathfinder cartridge and GM cable.

• Like 1

I know someone with an OBD1 scanner so I’m probably not gonna buy one right now. Hopefully I can try and find the problem with my CRT screen so I don’t have to. 

BTW an ALDL to USB adapter is available from Red River and Tunerpro RT runs on a Windows machine.

• Like 1