Drivers Door Lock Cylinder is Loose on my 91

Ohjai

The door lock cylinder on the drivers door is loose.  I have the door panel off, can reach my arm up to the lock cylinder and found the the retainer with switch and connector hanging loose.  I push the retainer on but the push button springs it back off.  I have a new one from the Reatta store in NC, but it is for the right hand door, connector is upside down.

Am I not holding my mouth right, do I have a bad lock cylinder, or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

jim

21 minutes ago, Ohjai said:

can reach my arm up to the lock cylinder and found the the retainer with switch and connector hanging loose.  I push the retainer on but the push button springs it back off.

I've not had that apart but just wondering, are you putting the spring clip in the notch on the cylinder to hold it in place?

door_cylinder and clip.jpg

Sort of what you are showing, but my clip has a spring loaded switch at the curve of the clip.  The pressure of the switch is preventing the clip to stay in place.  Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears this is a part of the anti-theft system.  If somebody pops the lock, the switch closes causing something to happen down stream.

Since the clip was not on the cylinder, I am considering removing the switch jumping the wires so the system thinks the lock cylinder is in place.  I am unable to see how this was to stay together.  Looking at the manual, it appears simple enough, but I am missing something.

I drilled out the mounting rivets that holds the switch on bracket, then it looked a lot like your picture above.  Snapped it in over the door lock cylinder, removed the switch from the car, and now the annoying security light goes out when I shut the door. 

I really appreciate the assistance I get from this forum.  Again a BIG THANK YOU.

jIM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ohjai said:

I really appreciate the assistance I get from this forum. 

…. I think a lot of us feel that way….

sometimes this is the only place for answers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

And all it takes is an occasional donation to keep the help coming!

• Agree 3

As you can see, the driver door lock is loose.  When I pushed the bracket over the lock, the pressure from the switch would push it off,  I was unable to get it to stay in place.  Ordered a new switch/bracket from North East Reatta Parts, and had the same issue.  After drilling the rivets holding the switch, I pushed the bracket on the lock and it snapped into place.  By leaving the switch disconnected I removed the anti-theft feature of alarming the car when the lock cylinder is removed. 

I have added some pictures to help visualize my fix for the door lock and security issue. 

1991 Reatta Door Lock Picture Marked.pdf1991 Reatta Door Lock Picture Marked.pdf1991 Reatta Door Lock Picture Marked.pdf1991 Reatta Door Lock Picture Marked.pdf1991 Reatt Door Lock Cylinder Alarm Schematic Marked.pdf1991 Reatt Door Lock Cylinder Alarm Schematic Marked.pdf

20230408_071808.thumb.jpg.011d062e49b2a5e091eaf762b9d05d8c.jpg20230408_071801.thumb.jpg.f62dbb198d8db923b2093ca8f3705153.jpg20230408_072041.thumb.jpg.c69b6185dc0bbd4e361456ae45986a38.jpg20230408_083326.thumb.jpg.4977463a122ef156c47be07ff165eb65.jpg