Axle CV joint rubber boot cracked

Ronnie

Got the axle from Jim Finn today. Packaging was excellent. It came in a box like you would expect to see if it was shipped from GM. Jim has been very helpful every time I've called on him for assistance or parts.

• Agree 2

I got the old axle out today and decided to stop for the day. Next step will be to clean up all the grease the slung out of the old axle and then put the new (to me) axle in. Hard part so far was getting the lower ball joint loose and getting the axle out of the transmission. Getting the ball joint out of the knuckle is hard because the brake reaction rod or rubber bushings on the lower control arm wants to keep the control arm and ball joint pushed up against the knuckle. All that holds the axle in the transmission is a C clip but it snaps in really tight making the axle hard to get out.

I took lots of photos. Here are a few of them.

Not many tools needed really. Had to get the large 36mm socket as a loaner from AutoZone to remove the axle spindle nut.

tear down (12).JPG

This photo has the nuts you have to remove marked with a red dot. Top red dot is a bolt that holds the  ABS sensor to the strut. Removed it to prevent the sensor lead from getting in a bind. Not shown are the bolts that hold the brake caliper bracket on and the one that holds the bracket for the brake hose to the strut. Those bolts are on the other side of the knuckle.

tear down (2a).JPG

Everything loose and the axle removed. Ready for grease cleanup and installing the other axle.

tear down (13).JPG

• Like 2

Finished the axle replacement today. I spent at least an hour under the car cleaning off grease slung out of the cracked boot on the axle. It's terrible grease that just want to smear instead of wiping off easily. Luckily what slings out isn't in a place that can be seen from under the hood or inside the fenderwell.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 4/20/2023 at 10:37 PM, Ronnie said:

Got the axle from Jim Finn today. Packaging was excellent. It came in a box like you would expect to see if it was shipped from GM. Jim has been very helpful every time I've called on him for assistance or parts.

What brand are the OEM Axles?

And I haven’t talked to Jim before but I’ve heard him mentioned in high regard. He sells Reatta parts?

1 hour ago, Clay-Goose-Davis said:

What brand are the OEM Axles?

And I haven’t talked to Jim before but I’ve heard him mentioned in high regard. He sells Reatta parts?

Don't know the brand. Jim Finn is a good source for used Reatta parts.

• Thanks 1