Oil Pressure indicator goes back and forth from mid scale to full scale

Ohjai

Do I have a faulty oil sensor?  The indicator goes back and forth from mid scale to full scale.

Thanks

Jim

That is a common failure mode for oil pressure sensor. If it stays high for a certain amount of time and it will set a code. Be sure to get one for a '91 model. I believe it might be different from earlier models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Long silver body original sensor failed do often there was a TSB written. New ones are shorter and have a black body. I had so many fail I usually keep a spare around.

ps 91 has a different calibration than earlier Reattae.

• Like 1

I suppose there are good and bad after market sensors out there.  Would NAPA be a reliable source?  are is there specialty suppliers that I should be using for my Reatta.

I used to prefer Delco when they made their own products but now mostly buy Bosch, B-W, or SPC.

• Like 1

I have an oil pressure sender waiting for me at NAPA, I will pick it up tomorrow and install it.

BUT!!! I don't know where it is located.  I have been digging through the service manual and have not been able to located it. 

HELP!!

Jim

I was waiting for someone to tell me it is at the NAPA store, but I beat them to it.

Jim

This is where it is on my '88. I think the '91 is in the same location. Don't twist on the black plastic part at the top. Twist on the metal part at the bottom.

oil_pressure_sender.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ronnie, with your picture I went out and found it.  Is there  a secret to releasing the connector?  I suppose this will use a metric socket, I do have most of the needed metric wrenches and sockets, but may be missing the 1/4 inch drive ones.

Jim

There is a latch at the top. 89-91 also has a torque bar to remove. I usually use a small pair or water pump pliers to R&R.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Ronnie and Padgett.  Task is complete. After getting the sensor from NAPA, I came home and found out I do  not have a 27MM or 1 1/16" deep well socket.  Went to Lowes put theirs was not long enough.  Went to AutoZone and they have a special sensor socket that works  great. 

The clip was easy to lift to remove the connector.  

JOB COMPLETE

Thanks again

Jim

• Like 1