Well I received my car about an hour ago.  I have these issues

1. Horn does not work-  

2. Security light flashes

3. Code 034H

4. Code EC2

5. Code BC2

6. 1PC2

7. SIr 2

Car seems to handle good, only driven it 5 miles but I love it already.

I found the fuse panel on the left had side of the center console.  The Circuit breakers have a gray tape across them, I did not want to disturb it unless I have to.  Looking at the Fuse Block Diagram it appears the horn is linked into the Security system.

Is there a method to disable this system to get the horn working.  i need a horn to pass inspection.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by Ohjai

• Ohjai changed the title to My new to me 1991 and Horn not Working

You may want to check the horn itself. the prior owner may have unplugged it if the alarm system was going off a lot.

Way up (and I mean way up!) under the left side of the dashboard is the theft deterrent module.  It has a 20amp in-line fuse...pull the fuse to disable the system.  This will stop the system from horn beeping and lights flashing if there is an intrusion.

Additionally, under the hood is a relay center.  Relay "B" is for the horns.  You can swap out one of the other relays to test if the "B" relay is any good i.e., horn now works.

I'm referring all this from memory, so for what it's worth go for it.

Edited by ship
  • Like 2

Ship, no joy with swapping the relay, I swapped it with the AC relay  and AC still works but no horn.  I looked up under the left side of the dash, but did not see a module.  Are you saying up behind the parking brake?  Is it an in line fuse or one on the fuse block itself?

Rogold, I would check the connections on the horn, but I was unable to locate it.  Where did Buick hide it?

Thanks to both of you.

Jim

Well!  The horn works, don't know its location but when I put 12 on the output of the relay I know the horn is good.

I have the service manual, so by directing me to the page number I will be able to follow what everyone is saying.

Jim

By using my Power Probe I found out why the horn is not working.  Well it does but the plastic buttons on the steering wheel are not properly seated. both sides have been pried out of the housing and I cannot gently get them to snap back in place.  Dos anyone have a suggestion on the trick to hold my mouth while looking cross-eyed and my tongue hanging out like Patrick Mahommes.? 

Are the codes I listed at the top of this topic normal, I am unable to find out what they mean.

1 hour ago, Ohjai said:

By using my Power Probe I found out why the horn is not working.  Well it does but the plastic buttons on the steering wheel are not properly seated. both sides have been pried out of the housing and I cannot gently get them to snap back in place.  Dos anyone have a suggestion on the trick to hold my mouth while looking cross-eyed and my tongue hanging out like Patrick Mahommes.? 

A photo of your buttons might help. My Reatta doesn't have the airbag steering wheel so I can't offer much help. 

There's some info in the ROJ How-to guides on horn buttons, they were problematic.  You may be able to carefully remove one, after looking through the diagrams in the How-To, and see if manually pressing on the pressure switch underneath activates the horn.

1 hour ago, Ohjai said:

Are the codes I listed at the top of this topic normal, I am unable to find out what they mean.

See "Diagnostics", above.  There are listings of the various error codes there.  Or do you mean that your codes aren't listed?  In any case, a Factory Service Manual is your best friend. I think I saw on your other posts that you already got one?

There is also a factory parts diagrams manual, and a factory parts number catalogue for these cars.  I use all three as I figure out part numbers, and how things are connected.

Edited by sarookha
correction
  • Like 1

You have to take off the horn pad. Then disconnect the air bag electrical connection. After that I don't remember as it's been years since I had one apart. Many people have advised disconnecting the battery before starting this project. Don't want the air bag to deploy.

I never had, but then again I've always been lucky...

• Like 1

Regarding the position of the horn buttons, the picture shows that they are sort of sticking up.   Although this seems to be odd, the horn buttons on the '90 and '91 Reattas do in fact stick out.   That is their normal position and never are fully seated until they are depressed when sounding the horn.   The typical problem with the horn buttons is that they break when too much force is used on them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ohjai said:

Ship, ... I looked up under the left side of the dash, but did not see a module.  Are you saying up behind the parking brake?  Is it an in line fuse or one on the fuse block itself?

Jim

Jim, yes, the module is way/way up behind the parking brake, and it is a 20amp in-line fuse near the module.

• Like 1

The only code  was 034 and h means it is History rather than Current. I'd just clear it. ones below are categories not codes (see the "Diaglnostics" link above).

• Like 1

Thank you Padgett.  I knew the one was history from the H.  I am new to working and understanding a car this new.  Now that I know the others are categories, I will dig up more info in the manual.

Following the directions given on this Forum for removing the horn button/switches, I now have a fully functioning horn. 

Jim

• Like 1