Tech 1 Diagnostic Computer 94-00101A

Ohjai

I bit the bullet Monday and bought a 91.  It was picked up today in Maryland. Delivery is scheduled for Friday.  

My question concerns the Tech 1 Diagnostic Computer.  Are they useful?  What is an alternate, Snap-On?

I received the tech manual today and have made it to the driveability and emissions section.  I will have many questions in the future.

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohjai said:

My question concerns the Tech 1 Diagnostic Computer.  Are they useful? 

I don't know much about the Tech 1. I'm sure they are good but most of the diagnostic information you will need are already built into your Reatta's onboard diagnostic system. There is a lot of information about using it in the menu at the top of the page. Feel free to ask if you have questions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ronnie, I received the Service manual today. While reading through it, I saw where it was mentioned.  Just was wondering if it was worthwhile to try and find one.  Part of my joy with this hobby is digging up stuff for these older cars.  But!  This 91 will be my youngest collector car.  Have 2 62 Skylarks, a 78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II, a 41 Cadillac and a38 Cadillac.  All of them are road ready.  

Jim

• Like 1

You most likely already know this, but the Reattas were pre-OBD1.  The onboard diagnostics via the HVAC is quite useful.

• Like 1

I have never used one. Since the Tech 1a is for GM vehicles specifically, it may have some features not included in other scanners. I have an Auto XRay that will connect and function but it cannot deliver more information than already available in the onboard system. The only advantage is it can do limited recordings for review, where the onboard system can only do a snapshot. It can't hurt to have one. 

• Like 2

The diagnostic port in all Reattas is ALDL (assembly line data link) and is unique to GM computer cars, 1981-1995. I have an OTC 2000 with a pathfinder III cartridge and GM cable that works well but for mustiple displays you need a Windows device, TunerPro RT ssoftware and a ALDL to USB adapter.

aldldisplay.jpg.8bb851f9ebe63900e8b6429a946a28b9.jpg

• Like 1

I have to check around here and see if I have a laptop left.

Jim

Ship and Padgett, I just smacked myself along side of my head.  I finally realized what you were trying to tell me.  This is not OBD, it is Assembly Line Data Link.  I got it now.

A few years ago while on a car club tour in Colorado, I met Gary Rock a retired engineer from General Motors. We got to talking about data links ad he mentioned he was on the team that developed the software diagnostics.  I always thought he was referring to OBD1, but as I recall our conversations he said it was before that.  I never made the connection. 

Jim

The onboard diagnostic system in the Reatta is ODB1. I wonder if the Tech 1 Diagnostic Computer and others similar to it are capable of diagnosing the BCM or are they just for the ECM?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The onboard diagnostic system in the Reatta is ODB1. I wonder if the Tech 1 Diagnostic Computer and others similar to it are capable of diagnosing the BCM or are they just for the ECM?

I guess I stand corrected.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ship said:

I guess I stand corrected.

I think you may be right about the Reatta system being pre-OBD1. It meets all the requirements of ODB1, and has the same code chart, but it might not have been considered to be ODB1 when it came out in 1988. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to prove you wrong.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think you may be right about the Reatta system being pre-OBD1. It meets all the requirements of ODB1, and has the same code chart, but it might not have been considered to be ODB1 when it came out in 1988. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to prove you wrong.

Ronnie, you did by no means sound like that.  I believe there was no "standardization" of auto diagnostics across the auto industry until the Feds mandated it with OBDII.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Oh my. OBD is on board diagnostics & is just a small part of the serial LAN that is the Assembly Line Data Link.. Besides the diagnostics the ALDL is how all of the modules (10ish) talk to and command each other.

In the beginning (like 1981) GM called it the Computer Command Control (CCC) and about 1986 became the higher speed ALDL.

There is a file on the Internet called ALDLSTUFF.ZIP that described the communications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

If I were wanting to see live diagnotics in many windows at once like Padgett demonstrated above in my 89 Reatta. What version of Windows will work with TunerPro RT and correct cable interface to a laptop source?

I’ve used it with two different ones over fifteen + years. One is Win98 and the other is Windows 10.