Sellling my 1989 Reatta

Aaron

Selling my 1989 Buick Reatta. I fell in love with this car when I purchased it two years ago, and if I could afford to have two cars, I would not be selling it now. I am a musician and realized I needed a larger car to carry all my equipment. My car is located in Acworth, GA. a suburb of Atlanta. I am the 3rd owner and have all the maintenance records since I purchased my Reatta from another private owner here in metro Atlanta. Below is a list of the repairs that have been performed by Kam's Auto Repair in Acworth, GA. There is no significant rust. My car has been garaged.

2021 – new tires, brake lines replaced, new A/C compressor, new front-end suspension

2022 – new rotors and brake pads on the front end

Routine maintenance performed

My car has 90,950 miles and is in very good condition. I am asking $8000.00 but am negotiable. I am including photos. Please call me if you're interested. 770/608-1227.

Buick Reatta front.jpg

Buick Reatta passenger side.jpg

Buick Reatta back.jpg

Buick Reatta front right side.png

Buick Reatta back right side.png

Buick Reatta trunk.jpg

Buick Reatta wheel.png

Buick Reatta bucket seats.jpg

Buick Reatta digital dashboard.jpg

Buick Reatta drivers door.png

Buick Reatta engine.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone have suggestions about where to advertise or sell my 1989 Buick Reatta? I have had an ad on Autotrader Classics for the last 3 months and have received 47 spam emails and no legitimate correspondence from anyone.

Buick Reatta passenger side.jpg

I bought my last car from Faceboob Marketplace and sold the last on on Craigslist. Have heard of good prices on Bring a Trailer but never looked into that.

• Agree 1

I bought my Reatta on "Auto Trader".  I also have heard good stuff re: "Bring a Trailer" but have not really looked into it.

• Like 1

Aaron, I purchased my 91 Reatta last week for $5,500, it has 76,000 miles.  the car was for sale for over 28 weeks on Market Place.   I have sold cars on Bring a Trailer, bought from eBay Motors and Facebook Market Place.  

When I start lusting after a particular model car, I start by looking at all the online sites.  Here I get an idea of the condition, mileage and price they are going for.  Once I have an idea of the price and mileage range I will consider I start an earnest search.  Pretty pictures attract people to look at your car.  Once I am attracted to a car, I contact the seller and ask questions about the condition it is in, tires, brakes fluid changes, hoses, window and door seals, and all rubber mounts.  I also ask if the car can be driven from where it is located to my home.

Depending on the answers I receive, I either pass or ask what is his bottom line he will take.  I either accept or reject the offer.  Keep in mind the Reatta is a beautiful car, but currently there are many more cars for sale than there are buyers.

Jim

Edited by Ohjai
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I do mostly the same thing with one difference: once I decide on make/model/year I acquire and study the factory service manual. Really helps in understand a car particularly the orphans/oddballs I am drawn to.

Also often wind up buyin two, a nice driver/local show car and a parts shed.

The market is telling you a great deal of information.  Research what other Reattas of the same year, condition, mileage have sold for and let that be your guide.  Be realistic.  I have learned a valuable lesson over the years, what something is worth to you is of little consequence, rather it is all about what someone else will pay.

I had the task of selling a 1985 Corvette, black on black with the Doug Nash 4+3 manual.  Fair condition, needed some cosmetics fixed, but overall a solid foundation.  I played around with price, went down, de-listed, relisted up in price.  Ended up selling it to someone who had a perfectly similar vehicle, colors and options when purchased new.  Then came marriage and children and his Corvette was the first thing to go as it was impractical.  Once the kids were out of the house, a search for the fountain of youth led him to purchasing the car for full asking price, no questions asked.  No haggling. 

The challenge with the Reatta is they were not targeted at a younger generation, rather it was older folks.  Unfortunately there is less of a look-back for people who were in their 50's when purchased new, and are now in their late 80's and 90's looking to buy one again.

For me, I hang onto ours because it belonged to my father.  I smile just like he did when driving it, and his spirit rides along with us wherever we go in it.  The value to me is far above what anyone else would pay.

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, alchemist said:

For me, I hang onto ours because it belonged to my father.  I smile just like he did when driving it, and his spirit rides along with us wherever we go in it.  The value to me is far above what anyone else would pay.

Concur. 
The one that I own was my fathers car….

Edited by DPS.01

I bought my 88 in 2001 because I outgrew my Fiero. Was my daily driver for years but also had a family car (1990 Bonneville - same drivetrain). Still have but one of my toys now.

Reatta prices never make sense to me.  Sometimes crazy low, other times crazy high.  There is a clean '90 vert, Driftwood/Tan 140k miles, that has been sitting at a used car lot near me for months now, and they're willing to take only $6000 for it, but no buyers.   And then others in similar condition that sell on eBait for double that.

Edited by sarookha

And for me that is a parts car. Perhaps they do not want to sell it.

• Like 1