Security system drains the Battery

Robert Alyn

The Security light on the dash  flashes when the engine is off and left over night it will drain the battery. Starts up fine if I jump it or charge the battery. I finally installed a quick disconnect on the negative side of the battery to keep it from draining. It's still a pain in the butt to pop the hood and disconnect the battery every time I shut her down. Where and how would I troubleshooting the security system to possibly locate a short or how can I disconnect the system completely? I would hate to disconnect it completely because knowing me, I'll just never get around to fixing it the right way. Need some good advice here in Wyoming 

The security light is probably flashing because the BCM senses one of the doors is open. If so, the dome and other interior lights will come on and run the battery down.

Thanks Ronnie for the advice but the only light that's on when I got her shut down is the security light flashing. I'm not for certain but I wouldn't think that would be enough draw to drain the battery, but it's the only thing I can think of 

The alarm system gets quite finicky with Reattas/Rivieras due to their age.  Sometimes, the system will go off, exterior lights flashing, horn sounding off, for no apparent reason.  This happened on two of my previous Rivieras, and my current Reatta.  Best to just pull the 20amp fuse way under the driver's side dash.

• Agree 1