Three pedal Reatta?

sarookha

I've always enjoyed my manual transmission cars, and I've always enjoyed driving my Reatta.  It was only a matter of time before I started fantasizing about swapping a Series 2 supercharged 3800 with a GM F40 6 speed behind it in to my '90 coupe.  I didn't find anything in the forums about manual transmission swaps.  Any thoughts?

The Achilles Heel of any stronger engine in a Reatta is the weak tranny that came stock, and even in the supercharged Buicks of yore, the front transaxles were the limiting factor.  But the F40 is good for 295ftlb torque, and a clutch adapter package is available from Spec Clutch to mate it to a 3800.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried something along these lines.

Been several, I reprogrammed one for a L67 and HD Getrag 5-speed and think Daniel did an F40 six speed.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

Been several, I reprogrammed one for a L67 and HD Getrag 5-speed and think Daniel did an F40 six speed.

Wasn't there another one done by Greg ???

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

That was Greg's.

Ah yes, now I remember. I forget which forum the threads for the two are in😖

AACA??

Edited by 2seater

AACA is corrrect. Wound up using Park Ave Ultra maps for the L67.

One of the moderators on AACA does not like my style so stay off other forums.

ps all Reattas have three pedals...

Edited by Padgett

21 hours ago, sarookha said:

I've always enjoyed my manual transmission cars, and I've always enjoyed driving my Reatta.  It was only a matter of time before I started fantasizing about swapping a Series 2 supercharged 3800 with a GM F40 6 speed behind it in to my '90 coupe.  I didn't find anything in the forums about manual transmission swaps.  Any thoughts?

The Achilles Heel of any stronger engine in a Reatta is the weak tranny that came stock, and even in the supercharged Buicks of yore, the front transaxles were the limiting factor.  But the F40 is good for 295ftlb torque, and a clutch adapter package is available from Spec Clutch to mate it to a 3800.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried something along these lines.

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/11-buick-reatta/

search in this forum for your answer. 
D_a_n_i_e_l  and Greg Ross are two people that have done this, Daniel is more recent. I think he uses underscore in his name. Good luck

On 3/14/2023 at 1:51 PM, sarookha said:

swapping a Series 2 supercharged 3800 with a GM F40 6 speed behind it in to my '90 coupe

Have you thought about what you are going to do for an ECM? From what I’ve learned, an ECM has to be for whatever engine is in the car. If you replace the ECU wouldn’t the display on the dash not work? Or would it. I am also looking to swap an L67 into my reatta. Mine is an 89 so I have the crt screen and I’m not sure how it’s going to affect it. Keeping The crt screen is my number 1 priority. 

On 3/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, 2seater said:

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/11-buick-reatta/

search in this forum for your answer. 
D_a_n_i_e_l  and Greg Ross are two people that have done this, Daniel is more recent. I think he uses underscore in his name. Good luck

Thanks for the lead!  I've got to do a few more postings on AACA before they'll let me send messages directly to other members, but this is a great start.

48 minutes ago, 89reattaWI said:

Have you thought about what you are going to do for an ECM? From what I’ve learned, an ECM has to be for whatever engine is in the car. If you replace the ECU wouldn’t the display on the dash not work? Or would it. I am also looking to swap an L67 into my reatta. Mine is an 89 so I have the crt screen and I’m not sure how it’s going to affect it. Keeping The crt screen is my number 1 priority. 

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/246614-finally-done-series-iii-and-f40-six-speed-swap/#comment-1303506 has the answers to your, and almost all of our questions.

I probably still have the ECM .bins for both a N/A L27 and a blown L67 with HD Getrag 5 speed. Think the blown one's maps came from a 1994 Park Ave Ultra.

Most of the reprogramming was to turn off all of the automagic controls (lockup) and errors from missing elements. I think we also had to recal the WSS speed input to match the Getrag.

Are these

18 hours ago, Padgett said:

I probably still have the ECM .bins for both a N/A L27 and a blown L67 with HD Getrag 5 speed. Think the blown one's maps came from a 1994 Park Ave Ultra.

Most of the reprogramming was to turn off all of the automagic controls (lockup) and errors from missing elements. I think we also had to recal the WSS speed input to match the Getrag.

Are these data files suitable for posting in the ROJ "How-to guides"?