Brakes

Alby505

Have a 1990 Reatta with 30,000 miles on it, about a month back I noticed when coming to a stop the brakes were starting to pulsate. Installed all new rotors and pads and flushed the brake fluid, but then noticed that the front brakes were getting very hot and back brakes were not working so flushed the brake fluid again but still having the same problem what am I missing? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

IMG_0240.jpeg

Edited by Alby505

I'm assuming the brake pump is running, right?? Is the red brake warning light glowing on the dash? If that is the case the pedal is probably going almost to the floor and then gets really hard??

Since you have no rear brakes, if the pump is running, it sounds like there is air in the pump and it's not building pressure. That would explain no rear brakes. the front brakes are probably getting hot due to them having to do all the work to stop the car. check out the How-to guides here on ROJ that cover flushing and bleeding the brakes and the way to get air out of the pump.

• Like 1

Do you have the red brake light warning on the dash? The rear brakes are operated solely by the boost pressure created by the pump. That also means they must be bled using the onboard pump, conventional bleeding methods don't work on the rear. The other possibility of the front brakes getting much hotter than the rear is the brake hoses are collapsing on the inside which works like a check valve and keeps the brake from releasing fully.

I agree with the possibility that collapsing brake hoses is the cause but it would be unusual for both front hoses to collapse at once.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1