A/C went out

DAVES89

The A/C has gone out on the vert. When I was in Texas last fall it was not blowing cold air so I pumped in one can of r-12 that didn't do much, pumped in another can and had cold air with an occasional warning light from the IPC. This spring once again no cold air so it's going off to the shop.

I am sure a new compressor will be in my future. Any recommendations to compressor brand? Four seasons has a 10 cylinder compressor which they claim is an upgrade over OEM 6 cylinders.

Should I switch from R-12 to R-134? I do have ample cans of R-12 and oil here.

If I were to switch to r-134 I would have the easy convenience of just buying R-134 over the counter with the gauge, valve and hose attached.

45 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

pumped in another can and had cold air with an occasional warning light from the IPC.

That sounds like you have a Freon leak You being able to add Freon and get cold air suggests the compressor is good. The seal in the front could be leaking. I think it might could be changed  without replacing the whole compressor if that is where the Freon is escaping from.

I get my parts from ACKITS.COM in AZ. Any time I open a system, I replace the O-rings and convert to R134A. Need to find someone with a detector to find out where the leak is.

• Agree 1

My $0.02 would be to convert it. I am not a fan of doing so, and I kept mine R12 when I replaced the compressor and condenser, plus the usual ancillaries, but my car stays local. If I had a second vehicle, not convenient to home supplies and suppliers, I would convert it. It does somewhat depend on where the leak is, and maybe there is a local shop still recycling and using R12, but odds are less and less.

The Judge is still R12 but the rest are converts or started out 134. Works fine in Florida.

My rule is "if the system is opened, it  gets 134.

My Reatta was converted to 134 before I got it in 2007. It has a small leak that I've not been able to find. It will leak down enough over the winter to turn on the low Freon warning. I bought an electronic sniffer that can detect Freon in a hose that has been used to fill the system but it finds no leaks anywhere on My Reatta's A/C system. Dye might find the leak but I've been told it's not good for the A/C system. I just add a can of Freon each spring and forget about it. Usually drive with the windows down anyway but A/C is nice to have in town when creeping along in traffic on a hot day.

Years ago when I was driving Buick Roadmasters I had a freon issue and took it to a shop. He told me that GM cars are notorious for leaking through the front of the compressor. He replaced the whole compressor.

Compressor is leaking so a new one is on order. Looks like they use Oreilly's as everyone was wearing O'Reilly hats and the parts drive dropped off some parts from there while I was there.

• Like 1

GM had all sorts of problems with the DA6 compressor (original in Reatta). Why they replaced with a HR6 (Harrison Redesign).

• 6 months later...

Compressor bound up today, causing the car to almost stop running. Belt was smoking. Now at the same repair shop. They had it from 8:30 am and no word yet.

There is a one year warranty, but the guy is checking on the labor portion of the warranty.

• Like 1

I thought I got a great deal this last spring when I had it replaced for about $450-500 [don't have my receipt here, going from memory] but it cost me another $450.00 today for a compressor, dryer, orifice tube, freon, labor. So overall with both visits it was still less then $1000.00 for a retrofitted r134 system. Padget always figured about $1000.00 for a person buying a Reatta with a non working A/C system which is right where I ultimately came in. 

The 'vert has overall been a low cost to operate car [but then again it should as I only put about 30,000 miles in at least ten years of ownership...

I imagine you've got to have A/C where you are now. I hope you got a different brand of compressor this time. The other one didn't last very long.