No ECM Codes....

Alchemy333

So I replaced the ECM... still had the rough idle/misfire... beyond 4000rpms became smooth. so I was thinking, ok... its gotta be the ICM, since it looks original and only replaced the coils. Re-tightened all my grounds... no change. Checked my fuel preassure regulator line for fuel in the vac... no change.

Tried starting it again later to run codes. No ECM DATA... I did get a B334c though... and heard my cooling fan running which was peculiar. Went to start it... and it acts as if no sensors are functioning. Sounds like the damn engine is gonna jump out of the car... won't even idle. Tried unplugging the battery, all my ECM connection... im stumped.

Is it the BCM now? Or did the new ECM malfunction? Ffs🤷‍♂️😅😅🤦‍♂️

Edited by Alchemy333

1 hour ago, Alchemy333 said:

so I was thinking, ok... its gotta be the ICM, since it looks original and only replaced the coils.

If so, considering all the other work you have done, why wouldn't you just go ahead and change the ICM? I would change the ICM and the Crankshaft Position Sensor to.

• Like 1

This is were an ignition scope is nice but if ECM dies, there is a backup system.

What PROM did you put in the new ECM ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would bet the instrument cluster has stuff not working either. If you have no ECM data the chip is not communicating properly. R&R the Prom and see if it is a fluke otherwise, try the old ECM again and see if that goes away. 

• Like 1

After the go around I had with chips and ECM last fall, I don't install the ECM until it has run and proven to be good, long term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

If so, considering all the other work you have done, why wouldn't you just go ahead and change the ICM? I would change the ICM and the Crankshaft Position Sensor to.

I just did the cam and crank sensors... and the harmonic balancer... no change. I will be swapping out the ICM as well. It just this new issue after replacing the ECM thats got me stuck.

@2seater gonna switch with old ECM again... its just that I reinstalled it after it started up fine. Instrument cluster has had no obvious issues.

@Padgett I put the PROM from the one I pulled in the new one.20230320_213203.thumb.jpg.6b110b7b91d84430010c0a75ca635b6d.jpg

• Like 1

Alright... put the old ECM back in again... and it runs as it did. With the new one in, it ran the same... before it crapped out. So its gotta be the ICM at this point. The only difference was in diagnostics. Current one reads "NO E CODES", the new one read "NO E DATA". Unsure if one read right or wrong... or if they are both crap... or something else🤷‍♂️

No ECM data is lack of communication between the chip and the ECM. It may take a little bit to straighten itself out after a chip or ECM change as it is self learning to a certain extent. No e codes sounds normal. The ECM does not self diagnose.

• Thanks 1

Is the ALDL cover by the steering column that says "do not remove" in place ? It completes the LAN loop.

Someone seriously into pre-95 GM computer cars  needs an ALDL scan tool. The OTC 2000 is often on eBay. Just make sure to get a late enough GM, all-in-one, or Pathfinder (think III was latest) cartridge and GM cable.

ATYJ is a 90 LN3 but for what car line I do not know.

ps the ECM will run just fine laying on the passenger footwell.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Padgett said:

I have no definitive answer on the source for the above Prom being correct for a Reatta but it is listed in the Prom list in the How To guides in ROJ. Listed as  California specific. The parts guide for E Bodies lists an even dozen Proms for 1990 with ATYJ being one of them.

The broadcast number in the ROJ guides courtesy of MC_Reatta shows 8074 to be the California spec for 1990 Reatta. Confirmed by the chart above,

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, Padgett said:

Is the ALDL cover by the steering column that says "do not remove" in place ? It completes the LAN loop.

Someone seriously into pre-95 GM computer cars  needs an ALDL scan tool. The OTC 2000 is often on eBay. Just make sure to get a late enough GM, all-in-one, or Pathfinder (think III was latest) cartridge and GM cable.

ALDL cover is on. Thanx! I'll look into those scanners.

Dredging now but think California cars had to run leaner and with less advance than the other 48/

• Agree 1