1991 Reatta

Eclectic

I am thinking about buying a low mileage 1991 coupe, and I am wondering if there are any impossible problems with this last version.  This one has only 42K on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Michael Johnson  Boulder :rolleyes: Colorado

Yes, I did purchase this showroom fresh 42K  1991 for $4500 with no issues, so far other than a check engine light, and blown woofers.  I am so excited, it drives like a dream... ;)

Congratulations. Sounds like a nice car. We can help you diagnose the check engine light. Start by checking for trouble codes. Information on how to do that can be found by clicking the "Diagnostics" button at the top of this page. Blown woofers are common problem and a pretty easy fix.

Congratulations. Sounds like a nice car. We can help you diagnose the check engine light. Start by checking for trouble codes. Information on how to do that can be found by clicking the "Diagnostics" button at the top of this page. Blown woofers are common problem and a pretty easy fix.

Thanks Ron,

The car continues to impress me with the handling and style, comfort. Can the woofer be replaced without removing the door panel?

Here are the codes I got from the IPC diagnostics. E 314 414 B 3344 3354 3364 4464 447c 552h. I also got the ec values if you need those.

The passenger side window on the new car needs assistance to close, as do both windows on the red Reatta, is this a lubrication issue? How to repair?

Thanks in advance for your help

I'm glad you are liking your Reatta. The door panel does have to come off to change the speakers. Instructions be found in the How-to guides for doing that.

Your codes don't seem to be written down properly. They don't appear to be valid codes. Click on Diagnostics in the main menu at the top of this page and look at the ECM and BCM charts. The codes in those charts are what you should be seeing when you check the codes.

The engine codes are E 0314 perhaps 031, 4 times?  Also E0414,  this is a 1991 model

Also about the windows...recommended lube and method?

so cam sensor and p/n switch

Also---Is there a way to clear the codes to see if they come up again, to turn off the check engine light?  Thanx

The codes are probably E031h and E041h. The h stands for history which means the problem isn't currently detected. If there was a c beside the code it would be a current code. I'm not sure if the code chart here on ROJ applies to a '91 model. The '91 uses a PCM instead of an ECM to control the engine as well as the electronic shift transmission. A code E041 is a common code on other models indicating the Cam Sensor, or the magnet in the cam gear that triggers the sensor, is defective. It is more than likely the cam sensor magnet is the problem. It is a common problem that can be fixed without removing the timing cover IF your '91 is the same as older models. Instructions for replacing the magnet can be found here.

For the windows you can try spraying something like WD-40 down beside the window track and the window to lubricate it. That worked for me be others have needed to remove the door panel and spray the tracks to get them moving better.

History sounds good, how do I clear the codes and shut off the check engine light?

The easiest way is to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and reconnect. Also one of the options in the diagnostics is to clear the codes but disconnecting the battery cable clears them all at once.

Well its not history any more, I had my first hiccup in the new car, seems like a loose connection or a failing cam sensor. Driving along, then, No power, no tach, no check engine light, then repeat, a couple of times. I am putting on a new sensor on Monday, hope that clears the light. Sensor sits right below the water pmp and there has been a water pump leak recently, new pump installed. PG Blast loosened up the windows, Still needs new speakers...so happy with this car...

Still needs new speakers...so happy with this car...

If you want to go original there is a complete set on eBay, but a little pricey. It says 88-89 but I think they will fit the 90' and 91's also. If I am wrong maybe someone can correct me, but I don't think they changed the speakers throughout the four years.

Speakers

The new am sensor cleared the 031 code, but the 041 comes right back. Mechanic says its the harness, are they available? Part #? Thanks again

Mechanic has found that the magnet is missing, has one on order.

Hey Ronnie,

Last week I saw a blower control module for sale at the Reatta store for $67, now its $125, is there a cheaper part number for that module? Thanks...

I couldn't find a part number with a better price. The prices in the Reatta Store are adjusted automatically by Amazon.com. The prices are constantly changing... form day to day in some cases. Although I don't have information on how they arrive at the current prices, I imagine they are based on availability and demand. I did a price search on RockAuto to see if they might have a better price for you. Their cheapest [url=Blower Motor Control Module / Resistor]blower control module[/url] for the Reatta is $121.70 but you have to pay extra for shipping where shipping is free on the one in the Reatta Store. If you do a thorough search of the internet you might find a better price but RockAuto and the Reatta Store have good prices on Reatta parts listed.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having scary electrical and/or ignition problems with my 1991 low mileage coupe.  After about ten miles or so, the IPC goes crazy, blinks off, and the engine dies or nearly dies.  Electrical Problem and another electrical warning, after changing the cam sensor and magnet, I had no codes for a few miles, then another event.  Now the engine codes are    E021  E031  E042  E047  HELP

On another note,  The Red 1990, I have removed a defective accumulator and replaced it with a used one that at least has an intact bladder, the pump is running but nothing pumps up and no fliuid level change. I bought a used brake assembly so should I replace the pump only or try the whole pump assembly? 

Thanks again in advance.  Michael :D

• Ronnie featured this topic