turn signal gremlin

sarookha

I should have known better than to post that I'd finally worked out all the gremlins from my '90 Coupe.  On my very next commute, I lost my right turn signals.  No sound, no blink, and when the ignition is on and the parking lights are on, it looks like one of the front passenger lamps is out.  Hopefully that is all that is involved.  On all my other vehicles, going as far back as 1954, and as recent as 2013, when a lamp goes out, the blinker to the remaining lamp on that side goes really fast.  Not so here, or maybe the Reatta bulb is fine and something else is going on?

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, sarookha said:

it looks like one of the front passenger lamps is out.  Hopefully that is all that is involved. 

That is probably the problem. Instructions in the How-to guides for replacing it. Be sure you use the correct bulb or you could do damage to the light.

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

What happens when you turn the hazard flashers on ?

The hazard flasher is a different turn signal flasher. So if the Emergency flasher works all the lights then the directional flasher is bad. However it still seems like you have a bad bulb. Be careful on the replacement bulb. If it is too long the glass point of the bulb will break the amber lense located inside the clear lense.

Yep, bulb filament broken.  Neither NAPA nor Autozone have the right bulbs, but Amazon came to my rescue with original Sylvania 890's.  I ordered a couple for the parts bank.

Looks like I'll need to work on my dexterity to get the new bulb into its socket without touching the glass or removing the entire lamp assembly.  Pulling the bulb wasn't too awkward, because I didn't need to manage alignment, just get ahold of it and twist.

Like with many challenges of this sort, the position I need to be in to see the socket, and the position I need to be in to get my arm up in there to insert the new bulb are completely different!

Does wearing clean nitrile gloves obviate the halogen bulb installation warnings about not touching the bulb surface?  I'm thinking it's the body oils in the fingerprints that are the problem.  It is a lot easier to get the bulb in, if I can use a finger ahead of it to find the location and angle of the hole in relation to the bulb in my hand.  But I can't do that without touching the bulb in this application.

Edited by sarookha

BTW, @DAVES89, I'm wishing my black coupe had the tan interior like yours!  I never thought I'd own a black car, but the Reatta is really striking in black.  I'm hooked!

2 hours ago, sarookha said:

Like with many challenges of this sort, the position I need to be in to see the socket, and the position I need to be in to get my arm up in there to insert the new bulb are completely different!

Does wearing clean nitrile gloves obviate the halogen bulb installation warnings about not touching the bulb surface?  I'm thinking it's the body oils in the fingerprints that are the problem. 

The photos below might help you with visualizing what you are feeling when you stick your hand up in there. I think the photos are of the passenger side light but I'm not certain.

I think oil on your hands is the problem with touching the bulb. Wearing bulbs gloves is a good idea.

SAM_0785.JPG

SAM_0786.JPG

SAM_0787.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos.  Actually getting the bulb and socket back into the light assembly turned out to be easier than I feared.  Wore nitrile gloves to keep finger prints off the bulb.

However, my new Sylvania 890 bulbs are longer than the identical part number bulb that had burned out, just a few thousandths shy of 1.5".  With this website's How To Guide stating that bulbs must be no longer than 1.5", I was a little concerned that I'd end up breaking the amber globe.  The Guide says the Sylvania bulbs (or GE) should work, so I held my breath and installed it.  So far, so good.

As years go by it would not be unusual for a manufacturer to consolidate lines, use one globe for many replacements.