Pacific Storm

Top Down

For the 1st time in my lifetime I tried to walk in a wind when it was blowing well over 50 mph...................I could hardly move forward against the wind as it kept pushing me back.   The predicated wind gusts were supposed to be up to 100mph so whatever I was stepping into was winning the skirmish.   Being on the Pacific coast does expose one to storms but this one was one not to forget.   The only reason that I stepped outside was to check on the house which was making all sorts of noises...........the Reattas were quietly sleeping inside the garage so all was well.   Another storm predicted for Saturday with strong winds so I am hoping that something happens to change its course or magnitude otherwise I may have to consider moving to the coast of Florida ???

• Like 1

Day 6 of rain with high wind gusts and daily rainfall of 2" or so.   Forecast is another week of rain.   Never, ever, seen anything like this.   Wonder how many Reatta will be salvaged in CA, OR, WA due to the flooding which is now spread..........?

Seems like it's either Fiest or Famine a.k.a. drought or flood for the Pacific coast over the last few years.  My sister lives on the Washington/Oregon border about 30 miles east of the ocean (along the Columbia River).  She says she's never seen anything like this weather wise.  She's lived there close to 30 years.  

Pretty normal weather for us for this time of year now that we are past the cold temps we had a coupe of weeks ago. No rain right now but it's coming on Thursday. Don't know how much we'll get.

California has now graduated into huge sinkholes............bad roads are now no better than pothole lanes.   Power outages are on again and off again.   Fortunately we have solar/battery so we can limp through the power outages.   The only problem is that the SUN isn't cooperating and the batteries run low after a couple of days.   Over 40% (perhaps more) of the state's electricity comes from solar generation so these storms point out that solar falls way short of an adequate energy source.   California is de-commisioning its few remaining nuclear plants so it maybe it is time to join the folks moving to Florida and Texas before the lights go out...............

• Sad 1

No, power in Florida is even less reliable and does not get that much sunlight. I have three generators for when the power goes off. Move somewhere else. Please.

You'd think that CA and/or FL would have plenty of sunshine. Government is pushing solar and wind. Neither seem to be particularly reliable - especially not in the mountains of southern PA. The government elites have no clue. 

• Agree 1

Regarding CA having plenty of sunshine, one should remember that CA extends from Mexico to Oregon.   Anything north of Santa Cruz along the coast has  less than optimal sunshine.   Cities like Oakland and San Francisco could not survive on 100% solar during the Dec-Feb timeframe.   Having just gone thru 14 days of storms and rain, I can attest to that fact.   Unfortunately, reality does not apply in CA wrt energy.   2 of the remaining nuclear plants are in the process of being de-commisioned so who knows what will replace them........solar, wind turbines, and ???