Reatta in Germany - Intermediate brake cable

Aztec62

The body of the Riviera was shortened 8" which is why the Reatta does not have a back seat. I would say it would be too long.

OK, so the body of the Reatta is 8 inches shorter than the Riviera body.

I think then the Riviera cable is way too long and can not be used on a Reatta.

A cable from an Allanté seems to be the better "shade-tree mechanic" (I like that word!) solution.

Henning

Regarding the Allanté cable, wouldn't it be possible in theory to route the cable differently under the car to put somewhat of a loop in it to take up the few extra inches?  Obviously no hard curves can be made, nor can it be routed too close to the exhaust, but I'm wondering if this might be a shade tree mechanics solution. Some customers brackets would need to be made and mounted, naturally.  Or, check the length of the front cable section for the Allante. If it is the same as a Reatta then it doesn't help us, but if it is a bit shorter by any chance, it might make the difference in getting the overall length close to correct.

I think the cable is too close to the same size to allow for any kind of "loop". Also a loop would cause more friction inside and it probably wouldn't operate correctly. I think the Allante will fit right up in the same configuration. It's just that the bend from the outside (under the door) to the inside (where it connects on the rear suspension) would be a little tighter. Also causing a little more friction than original design intent but I think it will work.

OK, so the body of the Reatta is 8 inches shorter than the Riviera body.

I think then the Riviera cable is way too long and can not be used on a Reatta.

A cable from an Allanté seems to be the better "shade-tree mechanic" (I like that word!) solution.

Henning

I have found through experience working on motorcycle cables that the length of cable versus length of casing can sometimes make a huge difference. Granted there is usually a large leeway of tolerance in the differing measurements but the brakes and clutches always seemed to perform a little better when utilizing measurements as close to correct as possible.

The difference on the Riviera cable is length of "travel". as in the length of the outer casing versus the length of the cable. The Reatta as stated earlier is 80" cable and 62" casing allowing "travel" of 18". The Riviera has 82.16" length of cable with 68.07" length of casing. Therefore the Riviera cable only has 14" of "travel".

The Allante is 83.5" cable and 63-5/16" or 63-5/8" (depending on source of specification) casing putting it very close to the 18" "travel". Actually it's between 17.9" to 18.2" travel.

The only other cable I found with that 18" of "travel" was for the 1990 Fleetwood or DeVille but it is 93-1/4" length cable with a 75-5/8" casing.

It may be possible that the Riviera cable and/or the Allante cable will work. I just haven't had the ambition to purchase those cables and then put them in and try them. Possibly something I might consider trying this coming summer but right at this moment my plan is to sell the Reatta that I have and focus all my time, money and effort on my 1955 Thunderbird.

FYI - I forwarded pictures and asked Inline Tube if they might possibly quote manufacture and price for a Reatta cable.

I decided to go ahead and buy the Allante intermediate cable. I am going to try it on the car to see if it works. I will update on success or failure after I've tried it out.

On another note.... I finally had someone from Federal-Mogul (parent corporation of Wagner) contact me. The main office saw my E-mail and forwarded it to the northeast rep for Federal-Mogul. The guy started out that he would tell me which local suppliers have it so I can just go pick it up. We talked for a few minutes. He finally says that I might be able to have it custom made. I responded telling him that his company already has the dimensions and equipment to make what us Reatta owners want/need. Why don't they just make a production run? He sidestepped and said he will try to hook me up with a local supplier. I told him he doesn't have to just check locally. I will buy it from anyplace he finds it in the country. I even told him if he could convince Federal-Mogul to make a run of 25 that I would buy them. He was not prepared to move in that direction.

I am also still waiting to hear back from Inline Tube Company whether they can make the cable.

I will update if there are any developments

I too have ordered an Allante cable to tryout. Cheap enough that I was willing to risk it. If it works that's good enough for me. If you end up making headway getting correct ones made, I'd be interested in a few. If we can generate enough interest for maybe 30 or 40 might have a better shot at getting someone to make a batch. Of course, if the Allanté cable works ok, maybe there is no point in the effort.

I too have ordered an Allante cable to tryout. Cheap enough that I was willing to risk it. If it works that's good enough for me. If you end up making headway getting correct ones made, I'd be interested in a few. If we can generate enough interest for maybe 30 or 40 might have a better shot at getting someone to make a batch. Of course, if the Allanté cable works ok, maybe there is no point in the effort.

Yeah, I figured what the heck for less than 25 bucks I can try it out with the Allante cable. as you say  maybe the effort is unwarranted but then I wonder what happens when the supply runs out for the Allante? That is why I'm hoping someplace like Inline Tube is willing to make the cable available for the Reatta. They already have the proper ends and equipment because they make many other GM cables.

I am currently working on a 1955 Thunderbird that I purchased years ago and one thing that makes me very happy about my choice of that automobile is that I can literally buy any part for the little bird. I don't find it to be quite so easy with the Reatta. One thing I need to say though is that when I need help with figuring something out I find lots of help from the Reatta guys. You guys here at the Reatta sites though are something special. All you guys work on your own cars! I find with the Thunderbird guys there are some (very knowledgeable) who work on their own cars and some who don't know the first thing about the cars other than they opened up their wallet to buy a car already restored.

My wife wants me to get out of the Reatta and focus on the Thunderbird. I kind of agree. I bought the bird over forty years ago. I lugged it all over the country (sans engine & transmission) with different job moves. We finally landed back home to be near family. I am now retired and have begun working on the car. When I bought the Reatta it was kind of a fluke. I saw it on E-bay and made a half hearted bid on the car. I won the bid! I picked up the car 90 miles from my house and drove it home. I like the car but when I relate the story of how I won it off E-bay the story includes the line "Unfortunately, I won the bid. I made the bid, so I had to follow through."

update 1: I finally heard back from one of my other "feelers". The Bruin Brake Cable company responded to my E-mail. They asked me for photos which I sent to a representative named Greg Burns. He is quoting an engineering fee of $135.00 (which I assume is a one time charge). I don't really need the cable at this moment but..... I would like to help out the Reatta community. I wrote back to him that I am considering paying the fee and purchase some extra cables so I can try to recoup the $135.00. My main concern is that they will put the cable in their catalog and in their Ebay store after I pay the fee and then I won't be able to compete with them on the price. I even told him that it might be possible to list it on Amazon (to help support ROJ) once it is available. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

update 2: Today I contacted Dorman Products. They were very quick to respond. The rep would only reference what he has as the cable with the "closest" measurements. I told him I was trying to find out if Dorman Products could/would help out the owners in Reatta world. Bottom line is NO HELP FROM DORMAN! I felt like saying "thanks for nothing"

Today I found a website called gmpartsheadquarters. They had the cable listed by the Buick OEM number 1642481. I ordered it. cost was $31.01 plus $14.95 shipping. Total of $45.96. They haven't yet told me they don't have it. We shall see.

My plan is to get an exactly correct cable and try to find someone who can add it to their catalog without killing me on price.

I hope you get the right one. I tried to list the intermediate cable in the Reatta Store but even though the number on the box that was shipped, the cable inside was the wrong one. I deleted all the parking brake cables to avoid confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I am looking for the intermediate brake cable for the parking brake.

The GM part no. is 1642481.

All the usual sources list the part as "discontinued".

Can anybody help?

An intermediate cable for a Riviera is available, but the part no. is different because I think the wheel base is different.

Hi, I just wanted to update everyone...

I purchased an Allante' cable from Rock Auto. I have the cable but I'm waiting for some warmer weather before I go out to work on a car in the garage.

I saw WrenchMonkey had the Reatta cable (BC129671) listed as "in stock" . I ordered it and two days later was told they don't have it.

I ordered a Reatta cable (1642481) fro GMparts supplier that I mentioned. Next day got notification that it's not available.

I was contacted by the Wagner Brakes rep out of Connecticut. He said the original Wagner number was F129671. I asked him if he could get one. We know the answer to that!

I never followed up with the guy at Bruin Brake Cables because I really don't want to pay the $135 engineering fee nor do I have a spare cable to send him.

I never heard back from Inline Tube as to whether they are willing to make the cable and again... I do not have a spare to send them for reference.

So..... It looks like anyone who needs a cable will be getting used parts.

I will keep searching and if I can make something else happen I will let you all know.

Hello fordrodsteven,

thank you for putting so much time into this subject.

I was also thinking about ordering the Allante cable from Rockauto, but it takes two week to have it here.

And right now, the rear axle of my Reatta is out anyway.

That is why I wanted to wait with ordering until you guys have tried if the cable fits or not.

So please, fordrodsteven, wait until you feel comfortable to work under your car.

There is no need tu rush it.

Henning