Jacking it up

Nailhed66

I’m planning to use a floor jack to lift the front of the Reatta and get it on jack stands. Any opinions on best practices and locations for the jack and stands ?

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I jack on the subframe crossmember that goes under the radiator.

I do as well. In a pinch I will lift under one of the subframe cushion locations but it then seems that the front end sort of "hangs". I place the jackstands somewhere in the area of the frame attachment of the brake reaction rod, that bar that connects from the lower control arm. Just my thinking that since the engine is located forward of the front axle, the major weight is all forward of the rear four subframe mounts. As Padgett says a lift IS a plus🙄

Edited by 2seater
  • Like 2

Thanks for the useful information. I’m limited by both budget and ceiling height, but I dream of having a lift one  day.

Have seen Quickjacks on sale & refurbished before. Prices are all over the place. Are some cheaper clones but make sure any lift has positive locking.

I have a 7k lb "medium rise" scissors lift. What I do most involves removing wheels and tires so a frame lift is best. Is also portable and easy to move around.Has a 33" center opening so can drop transmission out the center. For normal cars a 5k is probably enough. I do not use to store cars.

reattaup.jpg.8e576ab4c2e746094555b05be5116ebd.jpg

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1