Bought my first Reatta yesterday. Having a few issues.

steaksauce28

I'll start off with the good. Found a guy (original owner) selling a Reatta in my neighborhood w/ 32k original miles. Garaged during the winter and not a speck of rust on the car.  That's where the good ends. 

The bad. It hesitates when trying to start the vehicle.  If I give it a little gas while trying to turn it over it fires right up (not sure if that might be a starter or loose battery connection.) Battery seems to be about 15 years old. It seems to have a shudder around 50mph. It also seems a little squirrely when sitting in park and idling. The trunk latch is sticking on me and it needs rotors/pads all the way around.  He put 17'' rims on it with 225/50R17 tires but luckily also had the original 15'' rims (both sets of tires were shot and I was lucky to get it all the way home).  Some clear coat peeling too. 

I'm most concerned about the shudder, starting issue and idling. I was thinking the shudder could also be from it sitting and I took it on the highway for the first time in years. Or the fact that the pads/rotors were toast. Hoping it's not the transmission that's completely shot.  Any tips or helpful hints that you've all learned over the years would be appreciated. 

The computer and dash is amazing.  I feel like I'm driving in a futuristic 80's movie.  I can't get over how nice the leather is either!  I'll try to get some pictures posted later. 

Also, would love input on if I overpaid. Got it for $2750. It was an impulse buy. Never heard of Reatta until I saw it. 

I did decide to already buy new spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, fuel filter, brake parts, air filter and new belt.  He kept up on oil changes but likely will do that too in the near future. 

Edited by steaksauce28

Welcome to the forum! Besides the items you have already mentioned, is there anything else wrong with it?

Welcome to the forum.  Loads of Reatta enthusiasts here to help you figure out stuff with your '88.  IMO the price you paid for a 34-year-old Reatta with only 32K miles is very reasonable.  

1 hour ago, steaksauce28 said:

The bad. It hesitates when trying to start the vehicle.  If I give it a little gas while trying to turn it over it fires right up (not sure if that might be a starter or loose battery connection.) Battery seems to be about 15 years old.

If the engine is cranking over slowly when trying to start, the first thing I would do is clean the battery cables where they connect to the battery and tighten them properly. If the engine still turns slowly when trying to start I would bite the bullet and replace the battery. It is way over due for replacement. For the other problems you mentioned, it would be better if you start a new topic for each problem to avoid confusion when discussing them.

• Agree 1

Good idea to separate the issues as mentioned above. One item that may have to do with multiple symptoms you mentioned is the coil pack/ignition module. The shudder is a common indicator of ignition breakdown or misfire. Typically shows up as the transaxle shifts to fourth gear and the torque converter lockup engages. Low rpm and high engine load occurs right around 50mph under light to moderate throttle. 

Given the low miles, I think you did very well😎 

First, what year is it ? Photos are good.

Second read the owner's manual all the way through

Third get a factory service manual

Fourth use the diagnostics to find out what it thinks is wrong.

" If I give it a little gas " probably a stuck IAC see here.

Ignition: if Magnavox, see here.

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the Reatta.

My experience is that they are quite reliable cars and so I think you did great. Given the low miles, I bet there are relatively simple solution's to your problems.

One thing I would do, once you have a chance is read through the sections in the How Tos of this website on the teves Brake system (unless yours is a 1991, which does not have the teves brake system). Then I would perform the tests here to gauge the condition of the accumulator.  I would also do a brake fluid flush when you get the chance as the brake system likes nice new brake fluid (dot 3 only BTW).  I will try to find the forum post I started when I did it on mine. The very helpful folks here answered a lot of the questions I had when I did it on mine.

• Agree 1