Black Molding vs Painted Molding

Top Down

Wondering why Buick decided to use the black molding as standard on the Reatta.   Seems to me that the painted molding which matches the vehicle color looks consistently better on all vehicle colors.   Granted that the painted molding was an option, but how many Reattas were factory ordered by the owner to take advantage of this option......?    I can't believe that Buick thought that they would be saving $$ by not painting the molding beforehand as the Reatta was one expensive car anyway.   Did Buick think that the black molding looked better, and if so, what was their reasoning.  Lastly, I wonder what % of Reattas had the painted molding?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The black molding is intended to accentuate the wrap around design theme that also is present in the interior and canopy base. As the owner of a red car, I like the contrast of the black molding. My Skylark is black with red pin stripes, so maybe it’s just me…EEE3D027-0244-461E-8E10-EBCFBC432F70.thumb.jpeg.4f78f330ba4f88a7903cbb979e8da266.jpeg

• Like 2

I believe the belt molding color is purely subjective.  I personally like the contrast of the black molding on my white '91 Reatta. 

1.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ship said:

I believe the belt molding color is purely subjective. 

I agree. Although I like the black molding, on some Reattas, when I look at this photo of a car, that use to show up at a little car show every now and then, it reminds me of how good the color matched molding can look with some colors.

SAM_2947.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Top Down said:

I can't believe that Buick thought that they would be saving $$ by not painting the molding beforehand as the Reatta was one expensive car anyway.

I have in the back of my mind that the black moldings were painted black. I think I remember touching up a spot on mine. Were they not painted?

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I have in the back of my mind that the black moldings were painted black. I think I remember touching up a spot on mine. Were they not painted?

Interesting question...but I really don't want to scrape a spot on my black belt molding to find out!!

Mine is body color. Think Black looks best on a White car. I do not care for black cars.

enkb.thumb.jpg.ec00710c99c71b8ea72ff05e954dec5a.jpg

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1

I like the molding to be the same color as the car [with the exception of white with black molding]. My Red has the red molding which I liked so mush I had the outside mirrors painted red as well. However I have 6 spoke chrome wheels to offset all the red...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The bumper moldings are definitely painted and prone to scratching/chipping with white showing underneath. I had thought it was black rubber until mine started flaking in a couple of spots. I recently replaced the door side moldings  which seem to be color molded plastic to the core. 

Regarding the wrap around effect of the black molding, I can see the aluminum stripe which is on top of the molding as providing this effect.   As to the black molding itself, perhaps it is intended to give the impression that the Reatta sits low to the ground and provides a sleeker profile..............   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Top Down said:

As to the black molding itself, perhaps it is intended to give the impression that the Reatta sits low to the ground and provides a sleeker profile.............. 

I think it does that to. Don't know if GM intentionally did it for that reason. I think the pinstripe does the same thing. I removed the pinstripe on mine and I think it makes it look a little fatter. Gives it more of a '68 Camaro look.

ROJ facebook page.jpg

• Like 2

As I still look for possible reasons for the black molding, I just noticed the obvious.   The black molding starts at the nose of the Reatta which accentuates the aerodynamic look of the front end and allows it to flow along the car to the rear end.

• Agree 2

01CCABBA-416D-43A4-A4F3-47B90DFF07C7.thumb.jpeg.b43ed54ed8a352d7172707a7c6fdef25.jpeg  It’s part of the Reatta design language                                              

Edited by Nailhed66
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Nailhed66 said:

01CCABBA-416D-43A4-A4F3-47B90DFF07C7.thumb.jpeg.b43ed54ed8a352d7172707a7c6fdef25.jpeg  It’s part of the Reatta design language                                             

15 hours ago, Nailhed66 said:

You hit it on the nail. The design language for the Reatta according to Dave McIntosh is a large oval. The molding accentuates this oval as it draws the eyes around the sides of the car. The interior molding does the same thing as it wraps around the interior in that ovular shape. This molding also was on a lot of GM cars at this time. 

Edited by BlakesReatta
  • Like 1

I have not found a color combo for a reatta that I don't like.  I do think that the convertibles look best with the color trim though.  But I am biased because that is how mine is.

• Like 1