90 original convertible vinyl top

Alby505

Have a 90 with the original vinyl top, has anyone tried to take  apart the front half and smooth it out.

The top is in good shape just the front looks bad, or bite the bullet and get a new one.

IMG_0247.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

Edited by Alby505

Have seen reality TV "professionals" use a heat gun or steam to remove wrinkles. May also need to loosen the front latches and leave in sun for a day or two

The wrinkles almost look like something is under the top causing them. Is there fabric or padding underneath that cold be bunching up and causing the wrinkles? I'll be honest with you, that doesn't look like a quality top. The seam down the left side looks crooked and the welting along the front of the windshield looks out of line. That is a beautiful car you have from what I can see and it probably deserves better. If it is a low mileage, show quality, car then I would replace it. If you are just using it for driving around for fun I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I do go to some local shows, but I put the top down. I'm thinking of taking it apart and seeing what is causing all the bumps in the front and if that doesn't work will be saving up for a new one. Maybe changing thing up and getting a black canvas top.

IMG_0235.jpeg

Edited by Alby505
  • Like 1

IMHO I'd stick with the Saddle top.  I believe it goes better with the red exterior. 

I think I would stay with the saddle top but I would spend the extra money to get a cloth top. I think the cloth looks a lot better.

I don't think black is a good color for a Reatta convertible top. It's just not classy enough for a Reatta.

black top vert2.jpeg

• Agree 1

Hold on there, I have a black top on my Reatta and it is a perfect color for the silver body.   My car originally came with a white top which is pretty lame.   White tops belong on blue convertibles.   Regarding the black top, I think it is a better contrast than the beige top.   

Personally, I like the idea of a black top as the car will 3 colors in it.......red body, tan seats, and black top.

The reason is I'm thinking about the black top, there's a  90 Reatta on Bring a Trailer.com up for auction with a red body, tan seats, and black top I thought looks sharp.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 12.59.29 PM.png

1 hour ago, Top Down said:

Hold on there, I have a black top on my Reatta and it is a perfect color for the silver body.

Yeah, I should have said "red" Reatta. I've saw other colors that I thought looked good. Colors are subjective so I was giving my opinion.

Just saying, how many tan tops on red convertibles have you seen.......bunches.   How many black tops on red convertibles have you seen...........not many.   The tan top says "I am a cool car" whereas the black top says "I am a hot car."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1