1991 Reatta Convertible Owner (Code 12 Definition)

crd8481

My service engine light came on the other day so I took my Reatta to the local mechanic.

The code that came up was a code 12.  The mechanic said that GM does not release the code definitions and that I would need to take it to a GM dealer.  Unfortunately, the GM dealer in my small town does not work on any GM cars that are older than 10 years and wasn't interested in telling me what the code stands for. 

Has any one had a code 12 come up on their Reatta?

Thanks

Chris

Sounds like your mechanic isn't familiar with Reattas. All the codes are listed in the "Diagnostics" menu at the top of the page. I don't know of a "code 12" unless he was trying to use a paper clip to check the codes and that's not practical on a Reatta. You can check the codes yourself using the Reatta onboard diagnostic system. Instructions for doing that are in the diagnostics menu as well. Check the codes and report what you find and we will try to help.

• Agree 1

If you short the pins on the ALDL connector to read ABS codes, a "12" means normal operations. All other vehicle diagnostic codes have a letter (E, B, L,...) prefix and are documented in section 8 of the service manual. You can read them yourself, the the diagnostic listing above.

Don't pay to train a mechanic, find one who understands GM codes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3