Hey everyone. New Reatta owner! Here's my 88

pvmurph88

Hey everyone. I was looking for a car with a solid engine and started leaning towards the 3800. Started looking for LeSabres, fell down the Reatta Rabbit hole when I saw this for sale on CarGurus an hour away from me.

PXL_20220729_163108004.thumb.jpg.45e24ed22866e4f3af796864c3d001a3.jpg

Got it and it has 102k. AC was blowing but not cold. Previous owner told me compressor maybe. He also had receipts that the fuel pump had been changed before it sat for a while. Took the car in to see about AC. Cool trick actually. Mechanic said with old Caddys and such if refrigerants run out it cuts off compressor. So we filled the system, disconnected and reconnected battery and boom AC. When I start it up it always says low fuel and sometimes I get the engine oil warning.

PXL_20220909_173116960.thumb.jpg.d659c253c2fc660168cfc9babfeb166f.jpgPXL_20220909_173125110.thumb.jpg.544c604510375ee182092e08c9773607.jpg

Wondering what that could be since the fuel pump was replaced and the sensor would be on the pump I'm thinking in case of older fuel pumps. Need some help getting the gas gauge working. 

PXL_20220729_163139541.thumb.jpg.22439cfd7c0df1604a2501862151b242.jpgPXL_20220731_171735762.thumb.jpg.2a020073f365e7b1940d5e913a1e9dc4.jpg

PXL_20220729_163153710~2.jpg

PXL_20220729_163209492.MP.jpg

PXL_20220909_173110716.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pvmurph88 said:

Wondering what that could be since the fuel pump was replaced and the sensor would be on the pump I'm thinking

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking Reatta. The sending unit for the fuel gauge is a separate part on the Reattas and it might be bad or just dirty.  There is a Low Oil sensor in the oil pan that might be bad and causing you to get the low oil warning. It is easy to replace.

fuel_pump_dis-assembly-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum.  I see that your Reatta has color matching cloth sides on the seats.  Could mean it's an early production '88.  What's the last 6 numbers of the VIN

ometimes just filling the tank and driving over some speed bump will make the gas gauge work. Oterwise have to drop the tank which requires dropping the sway bar. Best to follow the service manual.

21 hours ago, ship said:

Welcome to the forum.  I see that your Reatta has color matching cloth sides on the seats.  Could mean it's an early production '88.  What's the last 6 numbers of the VIN

20 hours ago, Padgett said:

ometimes just filling the tank and driving over some speed bump will make the gas gauge work. Oterwise have to drop the tank which requires dropping the sway bar. Best to follow the service manual.

I have speed bumps in the complex I live in, so it's looking like the tank has gotta come out.

Before you pull the tank back out be aware that the fuel gauge sending unit is no longer available new. There is a substitute that will work but not perfectly. Maybe someone will chime in that remembers the part number for it and the differences.

Dorman 692-102. Fits perfectly but for me my gas gauge showed empty when I have 4 gallons left. Works best on the 88/89 because you can monitor your gas usage through the CRT screen. Or you can run your car down to empty on the gas gauge and fill up then. 

It gets a little scary that way [filling up on empty without monitoring the fuel usage] because in the back of my mind I keep thinking that what if this is the time it reads like the original and now I am really out of gas.

Gas gauge is hit or miss on my GMC pickup. It works when it wants to. Always reads empty when full and turns on the low fuel light. Black tape cured that. It randomly starts working from time to time but I don't look at it. I just reset the trip meter each time I fill up and repeat when it hits 400 miles. It holds 26 gallons so I still have a good way to go before it's empty.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

Never buy a cheap pump, is too hard to replace.

I agree. Delphi is my first choice. I use to be a ACDelco fan but now prefer the Delphi. ACDelco is second choice and Carter is good as well.

Yes, since the breakup both Delphi  & Delco are owned by Borg-Warner. GM does not own much any more. Lately been buying more Bosch though still have some spares from before.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, Ronnie said:

Gas gauge is hit or miss on my GMC pickup. It works when it wants to. Always reads empty when full and turns on the low fuel light. Black tape cured that. It randomly starts working from time to time but I don't look at it. I just reset the trip meter each time I fill up and repeat when it hits 400 miles. It holds 26 gallons so I still have a good way to go before it's empty.

Black tape fix… That’s what I do for the ABS light on my Reatta.

• Like 1

and the passenger side air bag warning on my CTS (left the on/off visible though).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

and the TPMS warning light on my Avalanche. 

I went to my dealer this spring after changing from winter tires to all seasons to have the TPMS "re-learned". After finding that two of the wheels would no longer accept a re-learning function, the Tech guy says that to replace the TPMS in the wheels would cost over $90 bucks per wheel plus tire off and on charge. Since I'm not near replacing the tires which would otherwise access the TPMS for replacement, I told the Tech guy that "I guess I'll be looking at a warning light for awhile."  I actually have not used the black tape, but it is a thought. 

• Like 1

Have replaced just by breaking the bead on the valve stem side, push down and R&R the TPMS/stem then reinflate. Balance is unchanged. Set of Delco TPMS (4) is about $60 on Amazon. Late ones have small battery.

• Thanks 1