Caretaker Feeling Good

THE CAT

The following is an update to my Reatta situation. Taking the advice of the experts on this forum, I put my adopted 1988 Reatta in the shop on this past Friday. Mentioned to the mechanic who has been trying to figure out what the issues were, to check out the fuel system, check the codes, and possibly it could be the cam sensor. He responded "it could be, I'll do my best to get it fixed." Picked the car up that night close to 9:00 pm. It started up nicely drove it about 13 miles and was feeling good, thinking that whatever he did, it worked. On my return back home, Ms. Reatta was cruising nicely hitting sustained speeds up to 50 mph--a first. Noticed the date had reverted back to January 1, 1987! Assumed they reset it back to factory settings. Interesting! Just as I'm cruising, thinking good thoughts, and feeling good, I hear beep beep. Look at the control panel and got a message saying "Vehicle Computer Communication Problem Detected." The beeping went on for about half an hour. But when I checked into the subcategories under "Diagnostics" button, Climate, Fluids, Vehicle, Engine all said "ok." But each time I pressed the button to go further into the main category, each item was saying there was a problem. Like: Climate Control-Low A/C refrigerant; A/C Refrigerant overheated; brake fluid low; fuel very low: Now this made me think--wait a minute. The care was just filled up, so this can't be true. Then Washer Fluid low; Not true: Engine Oil Level low: Even said passenger door ajar; Definitely not true. I wondered could these all be false alarms? After about a half an hour the beeping stopped. I parked the car and didn't get back in until Sunday. I drove the car another 13 miles one-way. Experienced the same beautiful, smooth ride with no beeping. On my return trip it was the same. Drove the car again today and had the same great experience: crisp start, smooth ride, quiet engine, no beeping. I'm really happy with how the car is driving and since the beeping stopped, I'm thinking it's performing the way it should. Please tell me if I'm correct and if there's something else I need to inform my mechanic of to clear up the error messages. (At least I think they're error messages.) The mechanic did replace the cam sensor and on the work order he mentioned codes 26 and 42??

I want to thank Daves89, Ronnie, and Padgett for reaching out to assist me. Right now I'm a happy camper and my 96 year old stepmother is too!

• Thanks 1

You should also look at the bar on the top of the page for "Diagnostics" and see what code E026 and code EO42 mean and then tell your mechanic. The code EO26 is a "catch all" code that will take some time to track down.

Good luck.

Looks like I need to do a little more homework. Thanks for the link Ronnie. It will be very helpful in my understanding of the diagnostics in the Reatta. And I will take your advice Dave in making my mechanic aware of the EO26 code. I appreciate all the help.

• Like 1