88/89 vs 90/91 Dash Layout

Top Down

As a fortunate owner of a 89 coupe and 90 convertible, I have been noticing the pros and cons of the dash layouts of each.   The 89 speedometer below the steering wheel is much easier to see than that on the 90.   However, the 90 temp/oil/volt gauges below the steering wheel are much easier to see than that on the 89.   The location of the time/ext temp readouts on the 90 are partially hidden from the drivers view which is annoying.   The radio controls on both cars seem to be equally accessible and easy to use.   The 89 wiper/wash/defog dash buttons on the dash seem to be easier to use than the 90 steering column lever.   Lastly, the view of the key lock cylinder on the 90 is usually obscured by the air bag which is a bit of a hassle.   All in all, I vote for the 89/89 dash layout for ease of operation.   Comments are welcome.........

I have an '88 but always thought I would like a '90 dash. I like the speedometer and tach. It think a '90 dash and a CRT would be the best of both worlds, but it's my understanding the CRT was too hard to see in a vert. I think they should have both in the '90-'91 coupes.

• Agree 1

I've owned 2 '92 Rivieras and 2 '91 Reattas.  So, my experience is only with the IPC.  From what I've read, IPCs are easier to obtain than CRTs if one is looking to purchase a replacement (or am I all wet regarding this?). 

I believe the '90-'91 might be easier to obtain, but it seems from the forum posts I read they go out more often than the '88-'89 IPC and CRTs. 

One of the reasons why I no longer sell parts is because they are mostly not available. People will soon be buying cars for working parts that they can use on their existing cars or just get out of their Reatta.

But to your question the least reliable to the most is;

1990/91 IPC

1988/89 CRT

1988/89 IPC

• Agree 1

As IPCs and other parts get more scarce one of my biggest fears is vendors will stop repairing them. Something as simple as the lack of availability of a CRT could put an old car like mine out of commission and make it worth more in parts than it would sell for with a bad CRT or IPC.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

As IPCs and other parts get more scarce one of my biggest fears is vendors will stop repairing them. Something as simple as the lack of availability of a CRT could put an old car like mine out of commission and make it worth more in parts than it would sell for with a bad CRT or IPC.

I know that's why I keep collecting Reatta "just in case" inventory.  I believe Dave L. does this for the same reason.  You just never know when you'll need a replacement part. 

• Like 1

OTOH the CRT tells you more and was just a standard Heath-Zenith CRT, nothing unusual Buick just bought them from a vendor.

And on the gripping hand, the Inet has many articles on converting a MDA (monochrome display adapter) to a modern LCD.

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the 88s-89s offered more features with the CRT and that incredible 1/4 tank fuel gauge feature. That being said, I just sold my 88 and I have two 90s. A vert and a parts car coupe. My first 88, I had to replace both the CRT and the IPC. I think the 88s-89s offered more unique options with the CRT that the 90-91 didn’t get like setting reminders and the calendar option. Speed sensor and mpg. I love the 90-91s but when you sit down, it’s a totally different feeling looking at the round dash versus the square dash. Dave McIntosh this summer at the BCA meet said he preferred the rounder dash of the 90-91s as he thought it fit better with the curvy nature of the car. I get that but I love the boxy square design of the 88-89s. I think it was so unique and special. I might end up trading my 90 vert for a good condition 88 or 89 as I adore those models. 

Edited by BlakesReatta
  • Like 2

The square modular instrument cluster/dash was something I loved about the 1980 Monte Carlo that I bought new. Then it fell off into my lap on the way home from the dealer.

Edited by Reynjoe
  • Sad 1