Lost keys, trouble replacing

El-Grumpo

I lost my keys about a week ago and tried to get a locksmith to replace the keys. Unfortunately the locksmith couldn't get a key that worked in the ignition, and believes its because the steering wheel is locked.

Is there some way to get around this, to unlock it, without the original key? I haven't found the keys after a week of searching and the locksmith gave up (after charging me for the time of course, oy) so I'm really running out of ideas/patience here.

I think the dealer can use your vin # to cut the key. Call and ask at a Buick dealership.

I think there is a lesson in there some where...

"I think there is a lesson in there some where..."

Get better keyrings? Because I'm getting better key rings.

1 hour ago, El-Grumpo said:

Unfortunately the locksmith couldn't get a key that worked in the ignition, and believes its because the steering wheel is locked.

I don't understand that. Isn't the steering wheel always locked when the key is removed?  The part where you insert the key IS a lock. The ignition switch is near the bottom of the steering column.

I didn't either Ronnie, but that wasn't the question he asked. He was after how to get a key to work. Not too impressed by him not figuring out to unlock an ignition by removing the key lock or telling him to use the vin to get a dealer made key.

Not surprised by the service charge. Years ago I had a garage door opener problem and found a service that offered free estimates. Had to take off the cover to look at the opener, said it was now "Service work" and charged me. Paid him and told him he was done. Should have known there was a catch...

Edited by DAVES89

The only time I had any dealing with a locksmith is when I bought an old boat from a friend and he had lost the key. I pulled the boat to the locksmith thinking he would need to remove the switch from the control box or something. All he did was get the number off the key switch. With that number he used his "Secret Code Book" that was locked in a safe to put the correct code in his key cutting machine to cut me 2 new keys. I imagine that is what the Buick dealer does as well using the VIN. I would have thought El-Grumpo's locksmith could have done that to.

I have made a key with a nailfile before.

90 has VATS. Proper key will turn but must also have proper resistor to start.

First thing I do for a new car is make sure I have at least two sets of keys that work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I think the dealer can use your vin # to cut the key. Call and ask at a Buick dealership.

I think there is a lesson in there some where...

I just finished calling a few dealerships. One dealership said they could do it, but they're not 100% confident it'll work. One problem I'm running into is being unsure of it being the original ignition lock. I'm not the original owner, and the car has had some stuff replaced that I'm only finding out after the fact. I'm starting to wonder if it'd be easier/better to just replace the ignition lock.

Key code is often listed in the owner's manual. Can always just remove the steering column lock cyl and take to a good locksmith. They can pull the slides and make a proper key. Still will not know the resistor value but can bypass (two white wires ?)

Edited by Padgett