Power Antenna

Top Down

I have always had bad luck with power antennas (pa).   Both of my corvettes, 64 and 66, had them and they hardly ever worked.   Now my 89 and 90 reattas have the same status, inoperative.   Funny thing, when I bought the 90 reatta about 6 months ago the pa worked for the return trip home from the buyers house.   However, when I parked the car in the garage for the 1st time, as I left the car and was about to enter the house I heard a strange buzzing sound.   Wondering what it was, I walked around the garage and found that the pa was running and won't shut off until I pulled the plug on the connector.   So much for another pa......    Now it is stuck 1/2 up or 1/2 way down (whatever), and I get annoyed everytime I see it.  So it would seem that my options are replacing it or forcing the mast all the way down.    Does anyone know where I can get the pa repaired or do I have to spend big $$ for a replacement which will probably fail again?    PS  the mid year Corvettes had a console switch which is how the pa was activated.   At least you could control when the pa was activated as the mast in the down position was still 2 feet extended so reception was sort of okay most of the time.

I feel your pain. I'm on my second one and I hardly ever use the radio. Barney Eaton repairs them using a steel cable that is much better than the plastic cable that was used ordinally. I don't remember the cost but I think it is reasonable. He can be contacted at: barneyeaton1@gmail.com

• Agree 1

I just got two repaired and they were $75.00 each plus you pay shipping both ways.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the inputs on repair.   Will pursue and put the pa in my rear view mirror😊

I just leave mine up about 3" and disconnect the relay. Could leave down because have a BT adapter and do everything with my cell phone.

I quit using the radio in the Reatta years ago when the capacitors went bad causing that annoying "cracking" sound via the speakers. No radio - no power antenna problem. I also don't use the cassette player, not because it doesn't function (I think it might still function), but because I've seen many horror stories on the ROJ about cassettes being stuck, etc.   

On the other hand, I routinely listen to either the radio or CDs in my daily driver because I'm not concerned about the problems as noted with the Reatta. 

• Like 1

With many cars all are equipped for my cell phone. My Samsung has a 6.1" scream which is enough for Google maps (updates itself) and have over 500 albums on the SD card (Rocket Player can index and select).

BTW all Reattas use the same radio module. Behind the glove compartment 88-89 and ia part of the radio dash module 90-91.

Module used in many GM cars & came in three forms: tone, equalizer, and Bose.

Edited by Padgett
  • Thanks 1