Cold Start Problem

Top Down

Just bought my 2nd Reatta, this one is  a silver '90 convertible with 74k miles and am fixing up the loose odds and ends that come with being 32 years old.   My question is what needs to be done to get the car to start right up after sitting overnight.   It wouldn't start on the 1st crank, but does so on the 2nd crank.   It has new plugs, wires, coils and module.   Also replaced the fuel pump relay.   My  red '89 coupe with 127k miles always starts on the 1st crank.   Suggestions would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, Top Down said:

It wouldn't start on the 1st crank, but does so on the 2nd crank.   It has new plugs, wires, coils and module.   Also replaced the fuel pump relay.   

That sounds like you don't have fuel pressure on the initial start after sitting overnight. Changing the fuel pump relay usually cures the problem so you must have something else going on. To test this theory put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail and watch it to see how much fuel pressure it shows on the first attempt to start in the morning. It should have at least 35 psi when you first turn on the key to the RUN position.

Fuel Pressure Testing Instructions

If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, connect 12 volts to the green prime/test connector before attempting to start the car to make the fuel pump run continuously and let it run a couple of minutes to get fuel up to the fuel rail. (Here is how to do it) Then is if it starts the first time like it should. If it starts right up we can do more troubleshooting to determine what is going on.

Thanks for the info.   As it starts immediately with the 2nd crank at all times and also when the engine is warm,  I agree that there is a fuel shortage at cold startup.   What other variables enter the picture which could cause this to happen?

To get a second 2 second shot, turn to run (do not start) after 5 seconds turn off for a few seconds and turn on again. Wait three seconds and try to start. Was corrected by a different Prom.

Have mentioned this before.

8990start.jpg.f04d6021b0147d190fa538079c5c4476.jpg

Thanks for the input.   I tried sequencing the ignition key and unfortunately all that happened was a flooded engine which will not start.  Any conclusions and/or alternatives?

4 hours ago, Top Down said:

I tried sequencing the ignition key and unfortunately all that happened was a flooded engine which will not start. 

That makes no sense. Each time you turn the key on it runs the fuel pump for a few seconds to build pressure in the fuel rail. I don't think fuel is injected into the engine until you attempt to start the engine. Then the ECM opens the fuel injectors to spray fuel when the starter is spinning the engine. You can connect 12 volts to the fuel pump and run it continuously and it won't flood the engine unless you have a bad injector. 

• Agree 2

Maybe it has a leaking injector that both floods the engine, AND runs the fuel rail pressure down to Zero psi

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the input.   I will post when the car is returned from the auto mechanic who will be trouble shooting the problem.   Had a terrible time getting the car out of the garage and up a curved diriveway.   Tow truck driver got the car started for 2 minutes before it died out but it did make it out of the garage/driveway and onto the street.  Only started for a brief moment after trying a dozen times ..........it was brutal to hear the starter whining and the engine coughing............

DSC06445.JPG

• Like 1

Well, the verdict is now in.............bad fuel pump.   Had the Buick Service Bulletin on cold starts checked against my car and found it to be not applicable as my car had the correct prom.    So far the car starts 1st thing in the morning so the fuel pump must have been dying a slow death for the 6 or more months as it always started on the 2nd crank in the morning.   Live and learn.

38 minutes ago, Top Down said:

Well, the verdict is now in.............bad fuel pump.   Had the Buick Service Bulletin on cold starts checked against my car and found it to be not applicable as my car had the correct prom.    So far the car starts 1st thing in the morning so the fuel pump must have been dying a slow death for the 6 or more months as it always started on the 2nd crank in the morning.   Live and learn.

Glad to hear you found the problem. I went through the a similar situation as yours about a year ago. You can read about it here.