Speed sensor?

Osseobob

OK so here is the puzzler. I was having a problem with my car hesitating around 55 mph. Did some research and found that the VSS or speed sensor will cause that. I purchase a scan tool to check the code and it turns out that the code is showing a bad VSS (speed sensor). Last saturday it kept stalling on my way home, after about 15 restarts and feathering the throttle I made it home. 

I purchase a new AC Delco VSS and install it. Take the car out for a drive and it runs absolutely great. Start the car later the same day and the code is back. I drive the car and its back to the same crap again. I try to clear the code and no matter what I try I cant clear it. I love my car but am about to drive it over a cliff.

By the way it was relatively easy to replace. Just remove the right front wheel and its accessible from underneath.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

It sounds like the typical ignition breakdown problem. I am trying to imagine how the VSS could cause stalling unless it is indicating the programmed fuel shutoff speed well over 100mph?

• Agree 1

Its the code for the VSS. I pulled the Fuse and disconnected the battery and the code was cleared. took the car for a drive and it ran perfect. half way home the code came back on and it ran like crap again. I cleaned the connector with electric cleaner n no o better. The speedometer works perfect with no fluctuations. The motor runs out perfect if not driving the car. 

Is the code a B124 (Speed Sensor Problem, Cruise)

or

E024 Speed Sensor Circuit (TCC, Torque Converter Clutch circuit),

or a different code?

Edited by rogold
  • Agree 1

Is this information from an aftermarket scan tool or the onboard built-in scanner?? To the best of my knowledge the operation of the engine itself has no connection to the speed sensor. The cruise control and torque converter lockup does. Check engine light on? Is this the 89 or 90?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Does the onboard diagnostic show any fault codes? Only one of the onboard scanner codes will set the check engine light. From the way that reads, it may be a pinched or shorted wire rather than the sensor itself? Only a guess, but removing and replacing the plug when changing the sensor may have given temporary relief. If memory serves, that part of the harness comes from the firewall to the passengers rear corner of the engine and then drops down a harness leg that contains the knock sensor, oil pressure and vss where it sort of hangs out in space. 

On 8/11/2022 at 11:30 PM, Ronnie said:

Is the speedometer not working, or reading erratically? 

The answer to this question would be helpful in figuring out the problem.

I believe it was previously posted that the Speedo works properly? In this case, it would be pretty straightforward to do a simple continuity check on the two wires from the VSS, one yellow, one purple. They connect to the ECM in the smaller black connector at the ECM, cavity B9 and B10. The purple wire is the ground but it must ground in the ECM

Edited by 2seater
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how the VSS could cause the engine to run poorly but it might. I would try unplugging it and see how the engine runs when driving. The speedo won't work and the converter won't lock but it might tell you if the VSS is causing the engine problem.

Since this is a 1990 model year I do not have a VRT. How does one access any kind of on board diagnostic? 

If I get time tomorrow I will disconnect the Vss and see how the car drives and reacts. I really appreciate any feedback from you guys!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Osseobob said:

How does one access any kind of on board diagnostic?

Click on Diagnostics in the menu at the top of the page and select Diagnostic Instructions for '90-'91.

There is a world of information that can be obtained from the Reatta's onboard diagnostics once you learn how to use the system.

I am glad the suggestion has come up. I have been ruminating on the possible connection too. It is very typical for misfire to show up around 50mph where 4th gear and TCC engagement occur. Another item I remember from the dim past involved the TCC chattering, lock/unlock etc. The only way I could see for it causing stalling is for it to engage at too low of speed or not release as it should. That’s another item that can be watched in diagnostics, the TCC engagement indicator. If the speed sensor and TCC are involved together somehow, it should set a check engine light.

Update…..

I unplugged the speed sensor. No trouble codes and car ran perfect for the first 5 miles. then the service engine comes on and the car started acting up again.

tach was all over the place, engine started hesitation. seems like it’s only when the engine requires power. if I keep my foot off the gas or very light throttle no problem. If I give it throttle or kick it in the ass all goes bad. got back and reran scan tool and now have second code for cruise control. I’m guessing since it wasn’t showing any speed it triggered the cruise control code. figured out how to run the OB diagnostic and got a bunch of codes

r033h, r034h, E042c, E024H, E042H, b124c, b552H, r026h, r061H.

All advice appreciated!

Bob

28 minutes ago, Osseobob said:

... tach was all over the place, engine started hesitation. seems like it’s only when the engine requires power. if I keep my foot off the gas or very light throttle no problem. If I give it throttle or kick it in the ass all goes bad.

Classic symptoms of a bad ignition system. Could be the spark plug wires and/or spark plugs, ICM, or crank position sensor. Tach all over the place makes me think the crank sensor is going bad. Cruise control code can be expected with the VSS unplugged.

I believe you have proved that a bad VSS isn't causing the engine problem. and I don't think the wiring going to it would. Reconnect the VSS and clear the codes in the diagnostics and see what comes back after driving again. Report them here. 

• Agree 1

Now it is making a little more sense. The E042c is something wrong with the "C3" ignition circuit. The check engine light should be on and it likely goes into the limp home mode. The code chart is at the top of the forum page 

• Like 1