Great ride, great drive.

bikern8

So I have owned my 91 vert for about 4 months and 1500 miles.  It is truly a smooth, enjoyable cruiser.  I will say reading about the various mechanical problems and challenges experienced by some owners makes me a tad nervous as I am not necessarily a hack mechanic!!! Hard to imagine that the sticker was $38,000 back when new.  Add state sales taxes and it would have rung the bell at over $40k before the discounts.  Mine was one of the cars registered to the company at Flint when they were beginning the experiences with the electric Chevy.  My understanding a fleet of Reattas were deployed to simulate the amount of miles that the electric vehicle would be capable of.  It was then owned for about 25 years by a Buick executive.  

One quirk is that the hood light only comes on if other parking or driving lights are on...seems somewhat counterintuitive to me?? 

• Like 1

Congrats on the 91 convertible! Very interesting about the electric experiments! Wow...

I noticed that hood light thing too and thought it was a bit strange. The trunk light comes on no matter what when the trunk is open. I assume that the idea was that the trunk lid would not be left open as much as the hood if you are working on the car. Maybe the engineers didn't want to drain the battery unnecessarily if you are working under the hood for long periods of time. If you are in the dark and need to look under the hood, you can turn on the parking lights to get some light temporarily...? Otherwise, a long stint working on the car under the hood would drain the battery...

Weird conjecture here: the trunk lights the rear of the car if parked alongside the road but the under hood does not so other lighting needs to be active to light the rear. Of course there is a huge difference in the power draw with approx. twenty four additional bulbs lit which is kinda crazy.

The reason for it might be a safety issue. I can tell you from my experience when I got stranded because of a failed CPS that I wouldn't want to standing in front of the car with the hood up at night without the taillights on. It was scary enough with the emergency flashers on when sitting on a dark highway with no street light anywhere around. You are right about all the light bulbs running the battery down quickly. The emergency flashers ran my battery down to where the engine wouldn't turn over in about 2-1/2 - 3 hours. That was after doing some grinding on the starter while troubleshooting the problem.  But they were still flashing after 5 hours when I got home so I thought that was pretty good.